When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its finally done...1938 Elgin Bluebird ..or "Redbird" as my wife calls it....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikesnbuses

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Some of you know the story behind this bike..I was lucky enough to find this off Craigslist..Listed as; "Vintage bike. Type unknown. Cash and carry" with a night time dark outside photo..The gentleman said he pulled it out of a dumpser because he though it might be an old Harley(big bars/tank)..it had his phone # in the ad!and took me what seemed FOREVER to get out of there with the rusty old bike!!I stared at his phone ON HIS HIP,waiting for it to start ringing off the hook!!But luckily his phone never rang and I got it home with full intention of restoring it.
Ive never FULLY restored a bicycle before..Ive done LOTS of refurbishings of bikes,VW buses and restoration work on OTHER peoples Vws ,Porsches and Jaguars over the years..so technically this is my first bike restoration..2 years later..Its finally done,and wanted to thank a few people
To answer the main question..I did NOT paint this bicycle,that was done by my longtime close friend Mark "Dinkbike"(Name here on the CABE) who did a phenominal job,and made the rough original chainguard look great and saved the original bakelite blackout headlight lens!The pinstriping was mostly done by a talented local pinstriper,but unfortunately I wasnt happy with the placement of the tank "feather" stripes so I contacted DJshakes and sent him the tank and he removed the thin feather pinstripes and restriped them PERFECTLY!! Of course the awesome seat was done by Bob U.And thanks to Marty W for selling me the original chainguard (not original for THIS specific "Standard" Bluebird model,but I wanted add the "bolt on" accessory.)"TuckTuck" from the Ratrodbikes forum for selling me his garage sale find NOS Allstates!And thanks to Bricycle for buying all my junk..I mean "High quality merchadise",so I could aford to buy all the parts/labor forthe bike !;)
Kind of nervous about riding it but I will give it a spin tomorrow and took pictures so incase I crash it!!:rolleyes:
my38BB_zps8982bb5b-1.jpg

P1150978_zps41b0e405-1.jpg

P1150984_zpsfeebec45-1.jpg

P1150989_zps589b16c6-1.jpg

P1150986_zpsb726fb08-1.jpg

P1150988_zps3c6255e8-1.jpg

P1150985_zpsdd37f2cb-1.jpg

The more I see this model the more I'm starting to prefer it over the other style Bluebird. Wonderful job, looks great!!

I'm still not a fan of the '38s but you did a fine job of restoring this rare bird and should be proud of the results. I don't hesitate to ride any of my bikes. To me the enjoyment is the ride. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
Back