When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's time for the e bike discussion

-
So we started with a discussion of "is it cool to put an electric motor on an antique moto bike?" Initially, we had more positive comments than negative and everyone seemed to share a general positive vibe of "hey, that's kinda cool" - correct me if my interpretation is slanted. It devolved into purpose built Chinese sh.. rules and now seems to have ended with all of the legislative and safety BS my wife is droning out as I come back battered from a mountain bike crash in Ute Valley Park. Don't need that. I say live and let live and let your local jurisdiction determine how irresponsible you are allowed to be.

PS: Eight years ago I was hit from behind on a trail in Chico, California by a dude on a 50s cruiser who couldn't stop because his coaster brake failed. Kinda funny when you read through the posts. Definitely done with this one!!

Holy crap. What I thought was going to be a cool thread turned into a bunch of naysayers whining and preaching about other people trying to have fun! Sound like a bunch of grumpy old men LOL. I'm out.
I'm an old man, but not grumpy. I think people can do whatever they want, unless it harms or affects others in a negative way. Safety seemed wimpy and goofy when I was a young man ( just like my parents advice fell on deaf ears, then I became a parent, now a grandparent..ha!!) but now I'm an old man (65) & reckless and selfish people annoy me. I flirt with speeding on occasion on my motorcycle, but know I'm being an azz...... At least it's factory dialed to be safe at those speeds.

Actually I think the heading is the issue as to where this thread has gone. There are two points of inference.

As with anything that gets whined about, Those that do the whining have a vested interest, either for or against.
A person can be unsettled because they own one and have had no problems nor foresee any. A person could be unsettled because they were on the receiving end of someone ruining their no-problems streak. Perhaps they sell them, make them or need one. Regulations will ruin the fun.... etc.
We all know; a little bad ruins a lot of good. So what to-do? Hide a head in the sand?
This issue can have "nay-sayers" on both ends. I see folks complaining about their freedoms being taken away and those with property and physical damage being done.

I imagine that those of us here are on the more responsible end. After-all most all of us are over 40. Most younger bike guys go argue semantics and play the "more Campy" game on "Bike Forum." I dont even know, but I'll bet there are people blue in the face over there.
When one takes offense, they imagine much, maybe too much.

As dnc1 pointed out, and we can see happening all around us, e-bikes are here. Time for growing pains.

Oh, but those scooters........ :0

Are you talking about e-scooters, where the rider is standing up?
That's a whole different issue to what is being discussed here; and as I said above practically illegal in the UK; albeit seemingly difficult to police.
What we're trying to discuss here is the conversion of vintage bicycles from pedal to pedal assist and its advantages/disadvantages.
Personally, I think it's clear from what I said above that I'm broadly in favour of them.
The bikes can be returned to standard/original condition with no ill effects.
I appreciate your annoyance, but that's a whole different issue.
It's a big can of worms, and easy to get off track/somewhat. At the end of the day, it's all about safety and responsibility for your actions and equipment. The issues are multiple. Legislation will be splintered based on jurisdiction and enforcement will be equally difficult.

Common sense and stupidity are human traits not taught in school. Recognition of these should be noted and stupidity punished. I think once you go past "pedal power" there should be accountability attached no matter what the ride is. For that matter reckless, stupid, or impaired or disabled people without the ability to control what they ride are a danger to themselves and people and property all around them. As much as we hate "rules" ( me especially) there is a need for some measure and training where appropriate. Just my 10 cents Canadian. That equals about 2 cents U.S. funds.

Back to the matter in hand.

I think there is great scope for converting many of the tank bikes you see on The Cabe. As long as you can configure the battery packs to fit in those tanks, which looks very feasible with a lot of the modern batteries I see.

All of the conversions of old bikes I see in England require you to have a saddlebag or barbag fitted in order to hide the battery away.
Perhaps someone will oneday design a battery pack that looks like those early battery packs that you see on teens/twenties era bikes.
The sort of tubular shape with conical ends that you see on some of the 'motocycle' type bikes on here, hanging under the top tube.
Or a replica Sturmey Archer 'Dry Battery' tube shape for those British Roadsters.
I think they could be popular with those wishing to electrify and use such machines in a discreet, but easily reversible way.

I think it is time to consider electric restomods and crusty motorbikes with electric motors as viable options for enthusiasts who need extra boost (old bikes are heavy) and/or want to use them for transportation. After all, they are Motobikes (OK, not the Schwinn) and they are motorized...... comments?
Nothing wrong with electric pedal assist. Your conversions look nicely done.

I electrified my 48 Roadmaster last summer.
I have a bad back and this has been my proudest build yet.

Back