When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's time for the e bike discussion

-

RPower

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am writing my thoughts as a full fledge antique Motobike enthusiast doing a museum restore on an old Shelby. However, I got into this building custom electric bikes for someone and built one that I ride when I feel really lazy, want to try out new products or have super high winds. I'll eventually decommission the old Shelby I ride and release it back into the wild as a mostly original bike. The red Westfield is a custom for a dude who bailed but I'll finish it up at some point. My issue is that every time someone straps some loud, stinky 2 stroke on an old bike or presents a Whizzer the crowd goes wild. Sold the chrome Rex and my wife is deciding between the Schwinn and a custom Monark Super Deluxe I am finishing - a bike with Nuvinci hub that I can't wait to try out. Though I don't spend much time on the electrics, mostly riding my mountain bike and an old Hawthorne Flyer, I think it is time to consider electric restomods and crusty motorbikes with electric motors as viable options for enthusiasts who need extra boost (old bikes are heavy) and/or want to use them for transportation. After all, they are Motobikes (OK, not the Schwinn) and they are motorized...... comments?

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

Personally I prefer to pedal my bikes. If I want motorized two-wheel transportation I'll fire up one of the HDs! V/r Shawn
So far the count appears to be 4 for and 1 against but its early. Though I can agree with your argument on most levels, there is (and was) a segment of the population who could not afford motorcycles (of course old HDs are a dime a dozen now, so who knew lol) and chose to put motors on their bicycles. Do you disagree/disapprove of all motorized bicycles? Your opinion is widely respected in this field, so it matters as I navigate through it. Thanks!! Personally, I mostly ride mountain bikes, non motorized 20s and 30s bikes and with noted exceptions, the Shelby e bike.

I might prefer adding a motor to a less-classic 1990's beach cruiser (e.g. GT Dyno), or to an industrial bike (e.g., Worksman), or a semi-MTB hybird(?).

So, if the originally stated question is about enthusiasm; I guess my answer is, it depends; (not yet having seen, or even investigated prices).

If the question morphs into whether or not an electric motor addition is a good business sales model, then I have no idea.

Last edited:
Back