When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's time for the e bike discussion

-
1 word

fukEbikes!

high % of idiots on board these things with no regard for rules of the road... accidents abound due to stupidity and arrogance.

plus the lazy factor.

Pedal your lazy @ss!
Wow! There’s a guy with no physical disabilities. Keep on pedaling your bike bro! When your old and or incapable I hope someone tells you how to live your life.

Last edited:
Hopefully this "discussion" doesn't go off the rails. As previously mentioned above, MOST e-bike riders are not so thoughtful and could care less what others think. As usual, "some" seem to always ruin it for the responsible ones and everyone else. They are dangerous when mixed with slower peds and bikes, no doubt. IMO, they should all be in the street, not boardwalks or trails. Some here have done some really tasteful conversions with Tanks hiding batteries and electronics. Not quite sold on the aesthetics quite yet of mid-drive stuff hung low on the BB or the giant hubs and levers and lines and wires either as they distract from the lines of the bike. Hopefully, some day in the near future the motors will be designed much smaller, with drive mechanisms that look like a cartridge BB insert or regular sized hub only requiring a small hole in the shell to run wires to removeable batteries and controllers set up on a rack.
I had a dream recently that I had a two-wheeled BOB trailer style grocery getter with a universal QR attachment/pivot on the seat pillar right under the seat. Speed controller located in same place. Easily detached from the bike itself but all the batteries and electronics hidden in the floor of the trailer and the drive wheels being the trailer's, not the bikes'..push style. Still waiting!

These things are increasingly appearing over here too.
The 'Swytch' e-bike kit; basically a sensor (for pedal assist), hub motor/front wheel and battery pack is very popular.
I have seen them out on V-CC rides with a lot of interest in them amongst some of the older riders.
Whereas ten years ago some guys would have had to give up the practical enjoyment of their collections they can now still take part and enjoy the camaraderie of a group ride or the quiet pleasure of a solo jaunt.
As has been mentioned above you are very lucky if you can still cycle comfortably into your late 70's and beyond.
One guy I know is now adding such a kit to a third bike in his stable.
He's OK cycling on the flat but hills play havoc with his knees; it may come to all of us eventually.
From this point of view they are a very good thing.
Local bike shops tell me that they can't get enough stock of them to sell.

What does mess with my head is when I see people who I know are fit and well, or youngsters riding e-bikes; it just reflects the lazier lifestyles that many lead today I guess, but it is 'jarring' to me.
Although I will admit to using one some years ago in the Sierra Tramuntana region of Mallorca because my partner doesn't like pedalling uphill.
I was astonished by the efficiency and quietness of the 'Bosch' manufactured system fitted to the hire bikes, and the effortless way that the pedal assist aspect 'kicked in'.

Rules are different over here. Unless you are a very young child, cycling on 'sidewalks' is prohibited, excepting on special designated paths- I could face a £2,000 fine for doing so.
I cycle on the public roads 95% of the time.

We have national legislation already governing the power of e-bikes that limits what you can do.
It is also illegal to use a privately-owned electric scooter (the stand up style) except on your own land over here, but you can use them in certain cities that have 'scooter hire' schemes. These are the real menace in my eyes, and the cause of many accidents.
Police regularly confiscate the privately owned scooters and take great pleasure in cutting them in half with angle grinders then disposing of them.

But it's all inevitable I guess, in my local city of Oxford on this very day 28th. February, 2022 all petrol and diesel engines have been banned on certain city centre streets.
Many people won't be able to afford pure electric cars, so I guess that the e-bike will prove increasingly popular.

Last edited:
Hopefully this "discussion" doesn't go off the rails. As previously mentioned above, MOST e-bike riders are not so thoughtful and could care less what others think. As usual, "some" seem to always ruin it for the responsible ones and everyone else. They are dangerous when mixed with slower peds and bikes, no doubt. IMO, they should all be in the street, not boardwalks or trails. Some here have done some really tasteful conversions with Tanks hiding batteries and electronics. Not quite sold on the aesthetics quite yet of mid-drive stuff hung low on the BB or the giant hubs and levers and lines and wires either as they distract from the lines of the bike. Hopefully, some day in the near future the motors will be designed much smaller, with drive mechanisms that look like a cartridge BB insert or regular sized hub only requiring a small hole in the shell to run wires to removeable batteries and controllers set up on a rack.
I had a dream recently that I had a two-wheeled BOB trailer style grocery getter with a universal QR attachment/pivot on the seat pillar right under the seat. Speed controller located in same place. Easily detached from the bike itself but all the batteries and electronics hidden in the floor of the trailer and the drive wheels being the trailer's, not the bikes'..push style. Still waiting!
I can see that a trailer mounted, push-along system would no doubt work with someone of your capable bike-handling skills Pete, but I see serious jack knifing problems for many less skilled practioners, LOL!

Wow! There’s a guy with no physical disabilities. Keep on pedaling your bike bro! When your old and or incapable I hope someone tells you how to live your life.

I totally get it for those with disabilities... But where I live? I see a lot of young people riding like
complete idiots on the E bikes...all over the road, sidewalks...zero respect for autos or pedestrians...
plus lots of serious injury accidents....

No offense to the disabled...or those who opt for the Ebike as opposed to a car for commutes to work etc.

There is just a high % of irresponsibility currently among kids etc making butt on these bikes at least where I live.

These things are increasingly appearing over here too.
The 'Swytch' e-bike kit; basically a sensor (for pedal assist), hub motor/front wheel and battery pack is very popular.
I have seen them out on V-CC rides with a lot of interest in them amongst some of the older riders.
Whereas ten years ago some guys would have had to give up the practical enjoyment of their collections they can now still take part and enjoy the camaraderie of a group ride or the quiet pleasure of a solo jaunt.
As has been mentioned above you are very lucky if you can still cycle comfortably into your late 70's and beyond.
One guy I know is now adding such a kit to a third bike in his stable.
He's OK cycling on the flat but hills play havoc with his knees; it may come to all of us eventually.
From this point of view they are a very good thing.
Local bike shops tell me that they can't get enough stock of them to sell.

What does mess with my head is when I see people who I know are fit and well, or youngsters riding e-bikes; it just reflects the lazier lifestyles that many lead today I guess, but it is 'jarring' to me.
Although I will admit to using one some years ago in the Sierra Tramuntana region of Mallorca because my partner doesn't like pedalling uphill.
I was astonished by the efficiency and quietness of the 'Bosch' manufactured system fitted to the hire bikes, and the effortless way it the pedal assist aspect 'kicked in'.

Rules are different over here. Unless you are a very young child, cycling on 'sidewalks' is prohibited, excepting on special designated paths- I could face a £2,000 fine for doing so.
I cycle on the public roads 95% of the time.

We have national legislation already governing the power of e-bikes that limits what you can do.
It is also illegal to use a privately-owned electric scooter (the stand up style) except on your own land over here, but you can use them in certain cities that have 'scooter hire' schemes. These are the real menace in my eyes, and the cause of many accidents.
Police regularly confiscate the privately owned scooters and take great pleasure in cutting them in half with angle grinders then disposing of them.

But it's all inevitable I guess, in my local city of Oxford on this very day 28th. February, 2022 all petrol and diesel engines have been banned on certain city centre streets.
Many people won't be able to afford pure electric cars, so I guess that the e-bike will prove increasingly popular.

You nailed it! Able bodied young people too lazy to ride a bike...and riding ebikes like total fools with full on disregard for the rules of the road..
and? MUCH More prevelant than the older commuter or disabled riders from what I see here locally in So Cal.
full on sheet show of buffoonery in very high %'s

I totally get it for those with disabilities... But where I live? I see a lot of young people riding like
complete idiots on the E bikes...all over the road, sidewalks...zero respect for autos or pedestrians...
plus lots of serious injury accidents....

No offense to the disabled...or those who opt for the Ebike as opposed to a car for commutes to work etc.

There is just a high % of irresponsibility currently among kids etc making butt on these bikes at least where I live.

You nailed it! Able bodied young people too lazy to ride a bike...and riding ebikes like total fools with full on disregard for the rules of the road..
and? MUCH More prevelant than the older commuter or disabled riders from what I see here locally in So Cal.
full on sheet show of buffoonery in very high %'s
Are you talking about e-scooters, where the rider is standing up?
That's a whole different issue to what is being discussed here; and as I said above practically illegal in the UK; albeit seemingly difficult to police.
What we're trying to discuss here is the conversion of vintage bicycles from pedal to pedal assist and its advantages/disadvantages.
Personally, I think it's clear from what I said above that I'm broadly in favour of them.
The bikes can be returned to standard/original condition with no ill effects.
I appreciate your annoyance, but that's a whole different issue.

The focus should be on proper time/place/manner for use. Most jurisdictions have general laws prohibiting disruptive uses of a public road or reckless use of a sidewalk, even if the e-bike is not a "motor vehicle". Many times the excuse of, "we don't have a law against that" is just a thin excuse not to enforce laws that exist. There's inertia against actually ticketing someone when they behave badly, at least until they hit someone and it ends up in the newspaper.

Back