When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's tough out there folks....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Whys all this bike stuff going so cheap lately or taking awhile to sell at great prices? it doesn’t seem like people are leaving the hobby and the bikes aren’t getting any less rare

I've noticed this across the collectibles market since late last year. There just seems to be a sense of uneasiness with people spending. Bikes that used to be gone in minutes now languish with some of them parted because the seller can't get a decent price whole. I'm about there with my Wards Comet but just can't bring myself to take apart a bike that has been together 80 years. V/r Shawn

As the title to this thread states, "it's getting tough out there". The pool of collectors who remember Schwinn and other U.S. bike manufacturers as builders of quality bicycles is growing smaller by the day. Where I used to sell exclusively on Ebay I now utilize every venue available to me, including Facebook groups, Forums, etc. I draw the line at Craigslist though, I'm not willing to open myself up to all of the negatives of that avenue of buying or selling.

As an aside, I am extremely appreciative of the "Veteran" comment which appears at the end of Freqman1's posts, and I have never heard a more eloquent explanation of the word "Veteran". I never considered myself to be "writing a blank check to the United States of America", I was simply too afraid to burn my draft card or flee out of country. With time I have come to be proud of my service in the Army and in Vietnam instead of ashamed, and I honor all of the brave men & women who have served in the Armed Forces of this great country. God Bless America!

I've noticed this across the collectibles market since late last year. There just seems to be a sense of uneasiness with people spending. Bikes that used to be gone in minutes now languish with some of them parted because the seller can't get a decent price whole. I'm about there with my Wards Comet but just can't bring myself to take apart a bike that has been together 80 years. V/r Shawn

Maybe the Marie Kondo de-clutter, de-own craze is having an impact, I hear from estate sales folks that things are slow there too. Fight the urge to part it, tainted cash won't "spark joy"!:smirk:

Whys all this bike stuff going so cheap lately or taking awhile to sell at great prices? it doesn’t seem like people are leaving the hobby and the bikes aren’t getting any less rare

I WOULD AGREE. PRICES ARE GOING DOWN!
AND A LACK OF INTERESTED BUYERS.

Hey, this is not too complicated to figure out. As the old guard dies off we are not being replenished with a new younger interested generation. Young people today only care about their telephones and computer games....... not old bicycles. Many areas of collecting are noting declines in values not just bicycles. Its only going to get worse as time marches on. My cousin bought a 1928 Rolls Royce Picadilly Roadster paid $150,000.00 for it many years back. In his mind he thought it would bring him some notice in this old world. It didn't. Fact was people were aggravated at having to pass around an old car going too slow on a 2 lane highway. In order to spark interest today you have to have the newest and greatest electronic gizmo.

Last edited:
Man their just ain't no market for the girls bikes any more. They made thousands and many more are in better shape because the guys bikes were used and abused. I wish i would have seen this bike. Would have been a nice companion bike for my "GREEN HORNET" bike i bought two weeks ago. Very clean for the year and in better shape paint wise than mine. Oh well until next time, Ride on and be safe out their. Razin.

Back