When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've heard people saying they are out...never here

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
My primary hobbies switch all the time. I usually get fanciated with them for about 3-5 years, and then find something else that interests me just as much that I end up spending some time on.

I have never abandoned a previous hobby I just slow down once I get to a desired point.

When I get to a point in my life where I could no longer ride what I have. I'm sure my interests would shift to something else I could participate in.

Bikes are one hobby that has stuck with me since the 80's, and I have gone though many different phases, (BMX / Moutain Bike / Vintage Bike), and each phase has at somepoint hit a peak level of interest. (As a example I have not rode or purchased a BMX bike since the 80's).

People should pursue whatever topics interest them. I deffinately do not want to be the guy who ends up dying with 50 of them stuck in my basement. Prior to getting involved again with bikes, I was starting to become a vintage fishing equipment hoarder. A few years of random sales got the collection back down to a size I can enjoy.

I am just lately picking up a new hobby in astronomy, it is still in the beginning stages much like this one.

Last edited:
I would love to have a prewar, that I can ride and wrench on , and not be a static display. Right now , its not in the cards. And that is okay. One day .
The collection I have isn't astounding, Mostly Schwinn middle and light weight models from 1955 to 1979 and a 59 J.C. Higgins I'm current working on...to ride. But I enjoy all of them.
There are different factions of this hobby.... Collector's, Historians, Riders and Mechanics and restorers. Some are all 5, some 4, some 3.....as so on.
The main thing is to have fun and enjoy it.

Me to, I have not yet accoumplished everything I wish to in this bike hobby.

I used to skate board to, but even Tony Hawk is rethinking his interests now. Times change, and this is a great video by the way!

I have a freind who is a profesional rollerblader who is still flying around the country compeating in events. I often wonder how long he will be able to keep it up. (actually a good friends younger brother, but still someone I consider a friend). He is starting to get up there in age like the rest of us.

Last edited:
My first pedal machine was a tractor with a cart, red and similar to Grandad' s Farmall and trailer.
First bike was Dad's Elgin, actually Mom's since he sold it to her before he joined Navy WWII. By fate they met again /married in '48. First new bike a 3 speed I bought with paper route money.
What amazed me about bikes since living in the country is I could walk to visit friends, or bike in 1/3rd the time. No fuel, just a little maintenance and they're quiet and reliable. Unlike walking you can rest going downhill. Biking with friends you could explore new places, stop for a soda. Fast enough to go places quickly, slow enough to actually see things, stop to chat with people who were outside.
Years ago a friend and his wife vacationed in Florida with their travel trailer (we're in Virginia). When they crossed over into Georgia returning he decided to ride his single speed bike he had with them back. Four days later he was home, taking all back roads. He said it was great!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Priorities change as we all age towards sure death, so some bail depending on circumstances. I have enjoyed the rush of the ride for far too many years to give it up now. It's a lifestyle for me personally. Besides, all bicycles seem to disarm everyone, even non-enthusiasts and especially if you are riding something you don't see every day. I don't go out looking to collect, but sometimes fall into some worth keeping.
Edit: And of course there is just something about riding the older, hand made machines produced before and just after the great war. They are a window into that time for me. Love old bicycles.

Last edited:
I guess in my hasty response earlier, I forgot to mention that I collect bicycles also. I study the history from the early 1900's, through the end of the major American manufacturers. I also know a bit about TOC safety bicycles. If I had the finances, I would have a lot more pristine bicycles, however, I promised myself years ago, that if I don't ride a bicycle at least 5 times a year (any of the bikes that I have in my possession), that I will pass it on to someone who will ride it and treasure it.

The other thing, is the addictive nature of the hunt, finding that bike in a place, driving hours and hours to get it, well it is a rush. I don't drink or do drugs, so bikes are my 'high'. Aside from riding them, finding them and getting that first ride on them, there is just not a good enough description for that feeling.

A lot of my bikes, I would hesitate to let anyone else ride, and of course there are those few that I cringe when someone even gets near it. I just really enjoy how the faces of some people just light up when they see one of my bikes and make that connection to the past in their mind.

Anyone who ever visits my home could ride any of my bikes if I could get them to go out on ride with me, but I also do not have any untouchables. I do like the attention they sometimes get. (its mostly positive, but not always). One time I rode one of the rusty ones, and passed the local high school when the football players were out practicing. One of the young smart asses yelled out, "Hey buddy, it looks like you need a new bike" I just gave a nod, and kept on going. When thinking about the comment, I still laugh about it to this day.

25-30 years ago, the same thought would have crossed my mind.

Last edited:
I got out for about 35 years, sort of. I went motorized for a while, but never forgot where I came from. I dubbed her my “Blackberry Krate” . :)
B198448C-0948-46C4-8FF8-E47CE1DD54C3.jpeg

7626132D-F753-46BD-82F1-D9302934AF48.jpeg

Back