When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Johnson crankarm removal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

John D. Williams

Finally riding a big boys bike
This nut is frozen, even after penetrating oil soak. I guess it is normal thread not reversed? I've tried tapping it with hammer and screwdriver so far. Any suggestions? It's a pre-1910 Iver Johnson.
P3310315.JPG

If you have a torch I would suggest heating it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I made a slotted tool. That’s the only way to get it off both by notches turning at the same time. Pounding on one is not enough. A Large handle for torque makes smooth work out of it, Yes It’s reversed threaded.

sorry, have to correct to avoid damage. When the nut is on the drive side, it is regular right hand threads, not left handed. Unscrew it counter clock wise.
Sorry,,,IF You Tap It,,,,Do It on Both Sides; 1 and 1 Towards the Left Both!!!
Good Luck!

I made a tool out of a heavy duty paint scraper with the right thickness to the blade. I ground the chisel end flat and a notch out of the center of the blade to clear the crank bolt. Though the handle was a nice one, for leverage, I used a pair of vise grips on the blade close to the nut.

If you can find it, the best penetrating oil I've found is Zep 45 or Zep PLS. The latter also works MUCH better than WD40 as a protectant. Not cheap, but they're big cans and every last drop comes out of them, so they last a long time. I used it in in a previous life as a marine mechanic and if soaking a couple of applications didn't free it, you were going to need a torch or angle grinder. However, that's more a general knowledge thing as that doesn't look too corroded to me.

Back