When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Johnson didn't always make Lovell Diamond bikes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ivrjhnsn

I live for the CABE
An FYI post here. Don't know how many CABER's know or care, but a little history tidbit.

Iver Johnson started making bikes in 1884, a Springfield Roadster high wheel. At some point they started making bicycles for his buddy John Lovell Sporting Goods. Badged as Lovell Diamond . Iver continued making Lovell Diamond bikes right up until his death in 1895 .

After Iver's passing, his son Fred took over things. Lovell Sportings Goods approached Fred and wanted him to make/sell them bikes for less money. NOT gonna happen. They parted ways.

Hence the 1896 launch of "Iver Johnson" badged bicycles.

Then, Lovell not having a maker for their Lovell bikes, opened a factory of their own in Portland Maine on the water front. I owned a Lovell made at this plant and the construction quality was no where near what Iver Johnson was doing. Lovell had to make bikes for themselves for approx. 5-6 years. Here's a letter that was sent out to dealers kinda explaining things indirectly that they needed a new source for bikes.
lovell letter.jpg

Iver Johnson Arms and Cycles eventually bought Lovell Sporting Goods in approx. 1900. And resumed making Lovell Diamond bicycles shortly there after right til the bicycle end around 1941.

good info, always interesting to learn about the history of these companies and how they intertwine
I just learned yesterday that the same maker made the porcelein inserts for Orient and Iver, and now this info on Lovell and Iver

here is a picture of the head badge on my Iver/Lovell or Lovell/Iver.
I have no idea of the YOM
Badge says: Manufactured by Iver for Lovell, PAT date 1888.

time to get schooled.

20180318_100911 (2).jpg

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Louis C., post: 856962, member: 79166"

here is a picture of the head badge on my Iver/Lovell or Lovell/Iver.
I have no idea of the YOM or who made it for who
time to get schooled.

View attachment 772512[/QUOTE]

Nice Badge !!

Eddie Bravo
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back