When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Johnson help requested

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bluetoronado

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello everyone! I recently picked up a beautiful 1911? Iver Johnson truss framed bike, but I’m looking for some assistance in getting it riding properly and safely again. The bike has wooden lobdell wheels which are in good shape, the rear hub is a sturmey archer 3 speed.

My questions are,

1. The bike currently has new (about 2 years old) glue on racing tires, but it was on display and lost air pressure, should the tires be removed and re applied, and if so, what products should be used, and what should I look for when inspecting the wheels themselves?

2. Should something like this be cleaned, or left alone, the previous owner had it serviced, but didn’t clean it because how potentially delicate the finish is, I definitely don’t want to damage it.

3. Does anyone have any resources for servicing the older sturmey archer 3 speed hubs/ and general care and upkeep of wood rim bicycles?

4. I know these bikes use a lot of proprietary hardware, is there a resource for servicing Iver J bicycles?

Thank you for any information, I will post detailed pics as soon as I can.
53bc875467c21f097c47b2657724734c.jpg

Hi blutoronado,
That is one great looking Iver, but yes, we need more pics!! The very first thing I'd do before any restoration goes forward is to figure out just what model Iver you have, that way you can better see clear as to what path to take with the bike. There are several very knowledgeable Iver people on this site that can help you , Ivrjhnsn, is high on that list. The bike has a set of racing wheels on it, but it may not be a racer.............I think (could be wrong) that the truss style on the racers "blended" in with the top tube. More pics will answer a lot of questions. Pete in Fitchburg

Agree with handyman’s suggestions
Looks like a 24”
About 1910 by the crankset
Look for a date stamp on the sturmey hub
Likely added later in its life

ill post more pictures in the daylight, I found some threads on here that discussed the hub, I have the rear fender, but sadly no front. I do not plan on a restoration just a preservation, my biggest concern is wood wheel maintenance. The serial number is 194455

Last edited:
Wood wheels were common on US bikes even later than then and they look the similar to the ones that were on my Special Racer. Mine is a 1912 at the latest and I'm too lazy to look up the serial, but IIRC, it's 195xxx, so that's right in there date-wise assuming sequential serial numbers. For me, I just gently clean mine with a microfiber cloth that I carefully refold before another wipe so as to not grind anything into the paint (I ride it on bike paths of crushed gravel, so the dust is abrasive). When I first got it, there was some kind of sticky stuff on it that I removed with Dawn (non-abrasive) and microfiber cloth where needed. Yours looks like a roadster, but I'm not as expert as a bunch of other people here. These are great riding bikes, even mine with the track bars.

Does look like a Sturmey archer Tri-coaster hub. I don't think Tri-Coasters have date codes but they are grouped by the sever designs.

Back