When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Johnson Mobicycle - date?

-
Cool pic of the rims! Thanks!
The tires they found and ordered were 28 X 1 1/2 - but for clencher rims - I think you're probably right that these are steel glue rims and not clencher - I was thinking they were awfully skinny for clenchers! Dang.
So how'm I gonna ride this puppy?!
Get Velocity 700c rims and Amsterdam white tires?
I would like to actually get around on it every once and a while - to the bar and back at least.

Last edited:
The cheap and simple solution is to stretch on a pair of No-Mor Flats solid inner tubes which will work, but are a little squishy. OR cyclocross tubular tires which should work well with your skinny rims. OR the former Harper tires.

There is no cheap way. I'm in the same boat with my 28" bike.

$300 for a pair of the repop tires, $200 or more for Cyclo-cross tires that have some pretty ugly tread patterns and sidewall reflective strips, or relace your hubs into Velocity wheels. I decided to go with Velocity wheels, but now found I can't get the cool teak colored wheels I wanted. Probably just gonna aget silver ones.

damn, you think those would take a modern tire? those would look great on whatever you put them on.

Whats the story? are they not making them anymore?

last i heard they were just waiting for a new shipment.

Good question. Ohdeebee looked into it, and said nothing was available in 36 spoke teak. I assumed that meant no longer available, but I suppose it could just be "out of stock" currently. I just wound up buying a pair of silver Velocity Blunts to use in place of my clad wheels. I know the P35's would be a closer match, but these were cheap on eBay ($49 each).

If the teak 36 hole P35's become available, I will pick up a set for future use. They look so awesome!

Wood Ghisallo 700c clinchers were $650.00 laced, trued, with custom double butted SS spokes, and shipped. Ric really knows his stuff and is an incredible wheel builder.

Cream Amsterdam tires and tubes were. $54.00.

I had them pinstriped for $75.00.

The tubes have Presta valves which for some reason, look vintage.

http://classic-cycle.de/en/Ready-Spanned-Wheels-Rims-Parts/Westwood-Rim-black-28-x-1-1-2-36-holes.html?&listtype=search&searchparam=28%20x%201%201%2F2&cur=1&lang=1&&listtype=search&searchparam=28%20x%201%201%2F2

We'll see if that link works, but this may be a cheaper alternative for the Westwood rims. I just laced them up to a Nexus 8 spd coaster, and a Sturmey Archer XF-DD, and they look FANTASTIC with the creme tires. But you can get red, black, or grey also. You also have the option of actually ordering the black/gold stripe rims, as well as the normal chrome, or aluminum if you care about weight.

Incidentally, the wheels are a little bit larger than the 28 x 1.5 that our bikes here had. I think the 700c is roughly the same size as the originals with their 622mm, and the 28 x 1 1/2 rims have a 635mm diameter. Also, it pays to watch the trends of the exchange rate. I saw the wheels bounce between $33/rim to $42/rim.

Wes

Last edited:
Back