When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Johnson - Solid and Stolid; A gathering place for dating IJ bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I think this is a solid idea! I believe that the Cabe has more Iver Johnson owners than anywhere in the world! What better place to tackle this project. I have several pics collected from this site of Iver Johnsons and their serial numbers. I guess I should post them up and we can start recording this data.

Lets start by posting a pic of your Iver Johnson bicycle (complete or just frame), serial number, Date(if known or believed) and brief description ie; (28 inch, balloon, original, replaced parts, etc).

I would gladly help out by recording numbers and pics for this project. Eventually, it could be available here at the Cabe in some type of usable database. The names of the pics I saved are the 6 digit number. Unfortunately, I do not have much info on these bikes except my own.

586621.jpg

560076.jpg

531351.jpg

497610.JPG

283460.JPG

256466.jpg

231521.JPG

586621.jpg

560076.jpg

531351.jpg

497610.JPG

283460.JPG

256466.jpg

231521.JPG

Lee Hartung auction Iver...

I thought I had won the lot with an Iver Johnson and two other wood wheeled bikes at the Lee Roy Hartung auction. I went to pay, and they claimed someone else had won this lot! My computer screen clearly said "You Won This Lot!!!"

The Iver had fenders and looked like it was in original paint too.

Boo-frickedy-hoo.

(I know, I already have enough bikes....)

Great Idea

29 Iver 004.jpg
29 Iver 007.jpg
Late 20s IJ Drop Bar Roadster 014.jpg
IMG_0816.jpg
IMG_0818.jpg
IMG_0822.jpg
IMG_0823.jpg

Hi Folks - I've been collecting bikes in my retirement for a while but am just beginning to get organized enough to join the discussions here. I like Iver Johnsons and appreciate the idea of this thread. If I attached the pics correctly, here are a couple more IJs for the group - I believe the first one to be a Drop Bar Roadster from the late 20s. Serial No. 524477. It's pretty original, even down to the white Vitalic Clincher tires. I'm not sure about the age of the second one, but its Serial No. 600527, and also nice original condition, except for the red head light. It's wearing Goodyear Double Eagle tires which may or may not be original?

I've got some IJs as well, and will post when I get a chance to get them photographed. I welcome any and all corrections on my descriptions -
Cheers, Dean

I think this is a solid idea! I believe that the Cabe has more Iver Johnson owners than anywhere in the world! What better place to tackle this project. I have several pics collected from this site of Iver Johnsons and their serial numbers. I guess I should post them up and we can start recording this data.

Lets start by posting a pic of your Iver Johnson bicycle (complete or just frame), serial number, Date(if known or believed) and brief description ie; (28 inch, balloon, original, replaced parts, etc).

I would gladly help out by recording numbers and pics for this project. Eventually, it could be available here at the Cabe in some type of usable database. The names of the pics I saved are the 6 digit number. Unfortunately, I do not have much info on these bikes except my own.

View attachment 31926 586621

View attachment 31927 531351

View attachment 31928560076

View attachment 31929 497610

View attachment 31930 283460

View attachment 31931 256466

View attachment 31932 231521

29 Iver 004.jpg

29 Iver 007.jpg

Late 20s IJ Drop Bar Roadster 014.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

Serial number 604615. I've had this about a year and still haven't gotten to it. Thought about selling it, but it's still hanging in my basement.

Attachments

• iverjohnson.jpg
    iverjohnson.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 739
  • iverjohnson2.jpg
    iverjohnson2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 718
Here are 2 more -

1930's balloon - Serial No. 573478 - Bought from the original owner's family in Rhode Island last week.

1910's(?) Truss Frame - hard to read, but looks like Serial No. 124660 (last number may be an 8?). Has a cool springer fork. The paint and seat are a little rough. I'd appreciate thoughts on the correct age and more eyes on the serial number.

Thanks,
Dean

IMG_0864.jpg
IMG_0862.jpg
IMG_0854.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg
IMG_0848.jpg
Iver Jonson Tires.jpg
IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

Iver Jonson Tires.jpg

It looks like this thread is growing nicely; I have visited the wheelmen site and have read what I can find of Bill Smith’s posts regarding I-J bicycles. It appears he is the “Gold Standard” for information on I-J and is very helpful in answering questions pertaining to dating a frame from the serial number. Using what he has posted I built a chart regarding the relationship between the numbers and build dates and I will post a summarization of that chart as I get a chance to this weekend.

The other bounty of this thread is a number of new posts with very interesting bicycles. For that alone I think this thread is doing a service to the I-J community. The spring fork on 124660 is awesome and put that bike into the top class of I-J collectibles. In the same league is the cream and brown bike, 600527. The title, “Solid and Stolid” is meant to convey the nature of Iver Johnson and how their general philosophy probably din them no good when bicycle design entered the streamline age. Too little too late is an apt description of their hanging tank straight-bar bicycle which looks like the hot ticket for about 1935. In reality I don’t believe this model hit the street before about 1939 or 1940 and probably hit the market a lot like the 1955/56/57 Nash line of automobiles did.

Low demand in the day often equates for better or worse to Rare today and straight-bar Ivers are just that. This bike is exceedingly rare and in extraordinary condition to boot, topped off with a bike shop decal that is “to die for”

Another current thread on the CABE deals with what is the best bike. That is impossible to answer without qualifiers and a context but it is my opinion that during the prewar balloon period there is no company that maintained and adhered to their internal principal of build quality like Iver-Johnson did and it is something of a shame that they decided to leave the industry at the outbreak of WW2.

I just spotted another CABEr posting of a girl’s balloon Iver and invited him to this thread to answer his questions. That frame is the relatively rare girl’s balloon frame designed to use the boy’s hanging tool box tank, when finished with the tank this is one of the rarest and best looking (to my eye) girl’s bikes produced during the prewar balloon period.

Anyway, off to the garage now, I’ll be back later with a synopsis of what I gleaned from Bill Smith’s posts

Here is what I posted in the antique section

went to visit a friend and he had this for sale

iverjohnson-1.jpg

serial number 566319 or 566316. sorry about the pictures since all i had was my cel phone. the hub says on the brake arm something like mussel or wheelman. i didnt have a pen to write anything down. it also has the 3 holes for the headbadge. looks like it was repainted at sometime. the fork looks long enough to fit a 28" rim. maybe somebody can help on the year

Here are 2 more -

1930's balloon - Serial No. 573478 - Bought from the original owner's family in Rhode Island last week.

1910's(?) Truss Frame - hard to read, but looks like Serial No. 124660 (last number may be an 8?). Has a cool springer fork. The paint and seat are a little rough. I'd appreciate thoughts on the correct age and more eyes on the serial number.

Thanks,
Dean

View attachment 32056View attachment 32057View attachment 32058View attachment 32059View attachment 32060View attachment 32063View attachment 32062

WOW!
I don't know what else to say but thank you for sharing these and opening up my eyes to something I didn't knew existed.
No milk bottles here!
Chris

Back