When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Johnson Tricycle ~fresh start~

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

okozzy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Okay, so the tricycle is now indoors and all cleaned up.
Special thanks go to Dave "ridingtoy" for helping out with the seat... it goes perfect with this tryke!

Iver Johnson Tryke 010 (Medium).jpg

Iver Johnson Tryke 016 (Medium).jpg

Iver Johnson Tryke 021 (Medium).jpg

Iver Johnson Tryke 019 (Medium).jpg

Iver Johnson Tryke 022 (Medium).jpg

Iver Johnson Tryke 018 (Medium).jpg

Iver Johnson Tryke 031 (Medium).jpg

If ever a saddle was "cute" this be tha saddle. Nice trike. Feel free to post duplicate photos in the Iver Johnson thread (link in my sig below)

That little Iver is looking terrific now and the seat suits it perfectly! Thanks for the photos showing the tricycle design details clearly. The whole front fork appears to be nickel plated, and those sure are heavy duty looking pedal cranks...that was no cheaply made trike! Glad I could help out with the restoration. :) Sounds like the tricycle has a new lease on life. When I get the time to learn how to use my old tire setter tools, maybe I could put new rubber on the rear wheels for you if you'd like to restore them too.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave,
It would be great if we can get new rubber on those rear wheels... that would make it rideable once again and ready for any future grandchildren!

Also, this thing was very well made and not a tiny tricycle by any means, it stands at nearly 2 1/2' tall.

The pedals are torrington no. 4's and great to see that little Johny and or little Susy rode the heck out of them... well worn.

That little Iver is looking terrific now and the seat suits it perfectly! Thanks for the photos showing the tricycle design details clearly. The whole front fork appears to be nickel plated, and those sure are heavy duty looking pedal cranks...that was no cheaply made trike! Glad I could help out with the restoration. :) Sounds like the tricycle has a new lease on life. When I get the time to learn how to use my old tire setter tools, maybe I could put new rubber on the rear wheels for you if you'd like to restore them too.

Dave

Iver Johnson Tryke 037.jpg

Iver Johnson Tryke 039.jpg

I was just noticing the pins that hold the pedal cranks to the front axle. On one end they look like standard taper pins as used on other older makes of tricycles like Colson and Taylor. On the other end they are threaded and have a nut to hold them tight. Just thought that was an interesting pin design and must have been unique with Iver Johnson.

Yeah, I've got the tire setter tools, extruded round rubber (both purchased from CABE members), steel wire, and brazing wire and flux. I'll be able to either twist or braze the center wire after tightening it up. Just need the time to practice on some trike wheels I have that are in the same shape as your rear wheels with bare wire showing, before I attempt to do wheels for other collectors.

Dave

Those pins were used on ordinaries in the 1800's.
Are you using oxy/acetylene torch?
I have silver soldered miles of joints together.
I like to use a very small torch tip.

Last edited:
A torch is the one component I haven't purchased yet. Figured I buy one when I'm actually ready to do some tire replacements. I was going to get one of the smaller portable torches that have a hot enough flame to melt the silver brazing rod. I have the A38T silver brazing alloy.

Dave

Cotter Pin 3pc. cranks

Cotter Pin cranks, just like the ones used on old road bikes, also looks like they used the twist method on the wheels.

I was just noticing the pins that hold the pedal cranks to the front axle. On one end they look like standard taper pins as used on other older makes of tricycles like Colson and Taylor. On the other end they are threaded and have a nut to hold them tight. Just thought that was an interesting pin design and must have been unique with Iver Johnson.

Yeah, I've got the tire setter tools, extruded round rubber (both purchased from CABE members), steel wire, and brazing wire and flux. I'll be able to either twist or braze the center wire after tightening it up. Just need the time to practice on some trike wheels I have that are in the same shape as your rear wheels with bare wire showing, before I attempt to do wheels for other collectors.

Dave

Cotter-pin-crank.jpg

Iver Johnson Tryke 040.jpg

Oh, neat! That's an interesting pin design. Where did you find that view?

I'm not sure what type of tool attachment was used to do that kind of twist. The instructions to the one I have allows you to do a single twist to lock the two ends of wire together, and then cut off the extra and pinch the resulting loops closed. The other method a lot of high wheelers use is to braze the wire ends together after cutting and bending them so that they overlap and lay side-by-side. This method uses a clamp having set screws to hold the wire tight once it's cut. On Velo King tricycles there's a link that the wire ends lock into via a bend on each end. There was probably an attachment with the tire setter to make the correct wire end bends that would lock into the link once the wire was released from the clamp.

Dave

Back