When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Johnson Truss

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Salt Flat Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked up this Iver Johnson yesterday and I'm pretty excited about it. I've wanted one of these for a while and I've never seen one come up locally. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about these, but I've been reading up on them. Bike has definitely been repainted a dark blue over what appears to be an originally black bike. It also looks like the there is plating under the white paint on the head and the plating on the front fork is in pretty good shape. I've read that means it could be a road racer model? The wheels are definitely wrong, but it looks like they are older hubs laced into newer rims. I can't tell what the front hub says but the rear is a new departure model D and the rims are arraya 26 x 1 3/8. I would also guess that fenders aren't correct as they don't look like fenders on similar bikes. The second number on the serial is really hard to read but I think it 477474, which it puts it somewhere in the late 20's? It looks like it sat somewhere against the seat and has bent the side up on the old persons saddle. The leather is a little bit hard, is there any way to soften it so it could be put back to it's original shape? Are the handlebars correct?

Plans are to make it rideable, I kind of wish it was the 24" frame but I should still fit on it ok. I have a pair of 700cc with cream electra tires that i think I will lace the older hubs into for now. I'll try stripping the spray paint and brushed on white paint to see if there is much orginal paint left, but I haven't had very good luck with that the last couple times I have tried. What are peoples feelings on repainting a bike like this a non original color if there isn't any paint left on it? I've always thought one of these frames would look good in an antique white.

This is how I found it.
as found.jpg

front.jpg

side.jpg

rear.jpg

top front.jpg

serial.jpg

headbadge.jpg

Looks like plating peaking out.
plating.jpg

stem.jpg

seatdamage.jpg

front hub.jpg

rear hub.jpg

crank.jpg

Hi MMeyers,

Great looking Iver ! My gut feeling on this bike is that it is a Model 90 Iver Johnson "Road Racer". Several things make me lean that way. 1) it is a special truss design as found on the racers (also on the delivery/heavy service and Model 88 Superior Truss) 2) has a racing saddle that may be original, 3) has racing handlebars that may be original, 4) has the proper racing fork, 5) has the dust caps on the BB that are found on the model 90 racers. The thing that throws me off here is the paint treatment is not found on the racers, but is an Iver pattern. It's possible that when repainted the pattern was copied from an Iver that was available at the time. In any case, I'd be interested in what lies under the paint on the headtube. If it's chrome/nickel, it's absolutely a racer. Pete in Fitchburg

I have a similar Iver except the truss bar connection is different from yours.
IMG_3598.jpg
IMG_3547.jpg
original color, black with dark green around the badge.
IMG_3596.jpg
Nickle plated in some parts.

IMG_3599.jpg
Torrington pedals
IMG_6286.jpg
The front wheel hub is Iver Johnson and the rear brakes
are by Morrow.

Last edited:
Nice bike! Would be kind of funny if someone "restored" it to look like a roadster, painting over its racer particulars. Maybe, though, that repaint helped preserve some of the original nickel. IMO as someone who holds little value in originality unless it's in very good shape, I'd paint it something as close to original as possible, but not necessarily the color that particular bike had if it's something common (like black) or that you don't like. Modern paint would be different than original, anyway, no matter the color, so I would pick something rare that I liked that nobody else might have seen. Mine is common black, but it's in really good original condition, so I'm not touching it.

As for the leather, there are softeners, but to my knowledge, while it might become pliable again, it will almost surely tear. Box it and get something you can ride (Brooks are kind of ubiquitous, but a B17 was contemporary to the bike and an option at least some of the years). Maybe someone else knows of something that will work, though.

I agree with everyone above. As Handyman stated it has many racing components, especially the BB dust covers. I might try soaking the saddle in a wet towel overnight then gently form it’s shape. Then stuff rags up underneath inside the saddle to form it and wrap a rubber band or something around it till it dries. Just an idea, that saddle is worth saving if possible! I’ll post a pic of my model 90 very similar. In my opinion if you decide to repaint/ restore this bike I would only go with an original color which you can see the options for the year in catalog. If this is determined to be a true racer then what you have is pretty special, and not something to customize in my opinion. It is a nice bike, take your time with it and figure out what you have. The guys above and myself are all Iver guys and are very interested and willing to help. Anthony
CECEBA36-1E04-4A93-BCDD-312A47F64273.jpeg

Thanks to everyone for the info, comments, and suggestions! I had a few spare minutes to day so I took off the badges and with some paint stripper I took off the paint on the headtube. Sure enough there is plating under there, and in quite good shape. There's a small amount of plating loss, a bit of rust staining, but behind the badge it is still polished! So it sounds like this makes it a racer model? I can also spy a bit of the original black paint. I think it will be worth it to carefully try to get some of the repaint off and see if I can save any original paint. If I can help it I'd rather not restore it but try to save what is left.

As far as the saddle goes I realized I know someone who repairs and restores leather horse saddles. I think I'll take it to him and see what he thinks. Like Duchess said I'll probably get a new brooks to use as a rider, and my intention with this bike is to enjoy riding it. Hopefully this weekend I will have a chance to start breaking it down and cleaning it up. I should be able to make a tool to get the bb apart. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along.

nickel1.jpg

nickel2.jpg

nickel3.jpg

Beautiful! Like Handyman said above, what you have is a model 90 road racer. And is likely mostly original. Just like the one I have posted above, except mine has a couple optional parts for 1919. I think your wise to not repaint it. Strip the repaint carefully, even if it is missing some paint when you’re done it’s complete and original. Very nice! Keep us posted. Welcome to the Iver bunch... Anthony

Back