When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Johnson Truss

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@Duchess @anders1 - The bike has definitely been spray canned and then it looks like the white darts were painted on by hand. It doesn't come across in the pictures but the paint is navy blue and has a lot of runs in it. In a few places that it has chipped away I am seeing black paint, and there is a spot or two where you can see the black paint when I stripped off the white. I'll take my time and try to go as delicately as I can to remove the spray paint. It's always a little tricky but I'm hoping that there is quite a bit of the original black still there. If some of the pinstripping was still visible that would be awesome!

Duchess- that's a good idea about making the tool out of a paint scrapper. I have a scrap of angle iron that I think I should be able to make something similar with. I would guess that it would be reverse threaded as well. Maybe when I take it apart I'll try to document it because I haven't seen many pictures of taking one apart. I'm hoping that I can get the saddle back close to original shape. I don't think I would ride the saddle much but it's a keeper.

Anders1- thanks for all of the pictures. They will help a lot when I start to look for the original paint. It helps to be able to see where the pinstripping and decals are located too. I really love the look of your racer! I plan on taking off the fenders for now to keep with the race look, but I'll be sure to keep them around. I'm not sure if they are orignal or not but I haven't seen a similar pair on one yet.

View attachment 890333
Is the plating only on the head-tube?
Are the triangular black and white pinstripe
darts original?
I'm curious how IJ designed this area to blend.
I'm talking about where the plating begins and
the paint takes over.

My IJ is deep green on the head tube and I stated earlier that the frame was black.
Checking closer, I see traces of a dark "burgandy" on the frame which for the most part now looks black from age.
You have a neat project.
I'm happy to hear that you will try to keep it
as original as possible.
Thanks for sharing!
From the sound of it 2jakes, you might have the color combo of another I have seen belonging to Handyman. I will post a pic that he posted recently...

F4F7967B-92C1-4CB8-A955-9709DFE2CD35.jpeg

Is the new departure model d rear hub correct for this bike?
My Iver came with Morrow.
Looking at original specs. it looks like New Departure was also used.
One thing I've noticed on my bike is that
the handlebar, stem, front wheel hub are
stamped "Iver Johnson".
The "decals" on the frame are similar
to what you would see on an old Singer sewing
machine. They don't look like water-transfer decals.
I don't know what techniques were used.
I've seen this on other products as well from
that time period.

Btw: Removing the head badge revealed a deep green, similar to the color photo anders1 posted earlier.

Last edited:
My Iver came with Morrow.
Looking at original specs. it looks like New Departure was also used.
One thing I've noticed on my bike is that
the handlebar, stem, front wheel hub are
stamped "Iver Johnson".
The "decals" on the frame are similar
to what you would see on an old Singer sewing
machine. They don't look like water-transfer decals.
I don't know what techniques were used.
I've seen this on other products as well from
that time period.

Btw: Removing the head badge revealed a deep green, similar to the color photo anders1 posted earlier.
The seat post should also be stamped Iver just under the seat bracket

If I’m not mistaken I believe that the crank nut threads are standard not reverse. I will check when I get home

Back