When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Johnson

-

todd66

'Lil Knee Scuffer
20160908_122641.jpg
20160907_194952.jpg
I'm new to the site and antique bikes. Recently I picked up this iver and am going to start the process of restoration. Looking for any tips or advice that you may have. It has been repainted multiple times and looks like the original color was blue. For the most part it is complete. The rear rim has some heavy corrosion and the metal is perforated, the wood seems to be in good repair though. Like I said any tips are appreciated.

Iver has a few proprietary bits like the crank/bottom bracket but there are plenty of posts on the subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a perfect candidate for a restoration, mostly complete but not much trace of original paint. I'd say a complete disassembly would be a good starting point. Take lots of pictures before you do though.

Ok I got the frame stripped down to bare metal and as I'm sanding off the bits I have found two mystery holes, mystery to me at least. Does anyone know what they may have been for?
20160924_191532.jpg
20160924_191626.jpg

Yes! If these holes were not present, hot air inside the tube could not escape causing bad joints. According to some, they also let the tubes breathe so that condensation can escape in the event it enters the frame via another orifice. Not sure how accurate that second part is, but I'd leave them open when refinishing if possible.

Yes! If these holes were not present, hot air inside the tube could not escape causing bad joints. According to some, they also let the tubes breathe so that condensation can escape in the event it enters the frame via another orifice. Not sure how accurate that second part is, but I'd leave them open when refinishing if possible.

Still learning how to post, sorry about posting quote, but thanks I'll make a point of keeping them open

Back