Iver Racer or Roadster?

This ad disappears when logged in

anders1

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 18, 2018
Southern California, USA
Can any of you Iver guys explain what would determine whether a 1912 diomand frame was meant to be a racer or roadster? Or could it have been either?
5C0CC275-19DC-48FC-9091-B72F9E9C3A5A.jpeg

Tube height is 24”. Wheel base center to center axel is 43 1/2”.
0E1034C5-341E-43AA-8ACF-3679A9BC9AA5.jpeg

anders1

Jun 18, 2018
Southern California, USA
Rear wheel is narrower than the front. I’m guessing that the rear is original and front was replaced at some point.

Handyman

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2009
Fitchburg, MA
Hi anders1,
Giving your Iver a quick "once over", I'd guess that it is a model 87 Men's Roadster. In general, (and this is if no parts have been swapped out over the years and it was not repainted) a racer would have a nickel plated head tube and fork, a narrower fork with a strait top (not the arched crown type), single hairline pinstripping on the frame, double hairline pinstripping if it were the Special Racer, most probably a snowflake chainring, most probably handlebars with more of a drop, and lastly, the small space behind the seat tube and the chain stays is much smaller on a racer than a roadster. There are other "frame geometry" hints that others may chime in on. This is only my opinion ..............and you know what they say about opinions. Pete in Fitchburg
1912 #14.jpg

Last edited:

anders1

Jun 18, 2018
Southern California, USA
Hi anders1,
Giving your Iver a quick "once over", I'd guess that it is a model 87 Men's Roadster. In general, (and this is if no parts have been swapped out over the years and it was not repainted) a racer would have a nickel plated head tube and fork, a narrower fork with a strait top (not the arched crown type), single hairline pinstripping on the frame, most probably a snowflake chainring, most probably handlebars with more of a drop, and lastly, the small space behind the seat tube and the chain stays is much smaller on a racer than a roadster. There are other "frame geometry" hints that others may chime in on. This is only my opinion ..............and you know what they say about opinions. Pete in Fitchburg
View attachment 850486
Actually Pete, that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I was hoping it could be a racer, but I’m very pleased with what it is. After I get this one home I’ll be searching for a IJ racer. So if anyone has a project I’m interested. Thanks everyone for your feedback and anymore is certainly welcome! Enjoy the ride my friends. Anthony

anders1

Jun 18, 2018
Southern California, USA
Good morning Pete. How do I find a stencil set for those pins? I suspect the IJ that I recently acquired my have been repainted at some point as you pointed out. If so then I guess I have 3 options #1 leave it as is which is unlikely #2 strip it and try to expose original paint then leave it regardless of condition #3 strip and restore frame and fork as you have done. I probably wouldn’t do a new nickel finish on this project because it looks pretty decent and I like a little patina. Though I do not like a pore repaint job. Do you or anybody else have any advice?

Duchess

Feb 14, 2014
Beverly, MA
The nickel would be incorrect for a roadster, anyway, so that would save you a nice chunk of change. I think it's unlikely you'll find much of pinstripes under newer paint as it looks like it was originally painted over the glossy lacquer paint, so it was not very durable. If mine wasn't so nicely original, I'd want to restore it—they look amazing in like-new condition, but then finding the right fork and doing the nickel plate would be more than I'd want to put into it (and I kind of like the incorrect fork because it shows it's lived some life and I like to think the original broke in a racing incident). I used the same kind of stencils as Handyman for pinstriping my 2000 Iver Johnson "Major Taylor" (just a customized Specialized Allez). Originally, they were done by hand, so the originals look just a little more delicate and uneven, but really, no one will notice and who has the skill to do them by hand anymore (I still think it's amazing that there were people doing these all day every day back then and having them come out as nice as they did).

15252495_10154300906023191_1869348801863917888_o.jpg

anders1

Jun 18, 2018
Southern California, USA
The nickel would be incorrect for a roadster, anyway, so that would save you a nice chunk of change. I think it's unlikely you'll find much of pinstripes under newer paint as it looks like it was originally painted over the glossy lacquer paint, so it was not very durable. If mine wasn't so nicely original, I'd want to restore it—they look amazing in like-new condition, but then finding the right fork and doing the nickel plate would be more than I'd want to put into it (and I kind of like the incorrect fork because it shows it's lived some life and I like to think the original broke in a racing incident). I used the same kind of stencils as Handyman for pinstriping my 2000 Iver Johnson "Major Taylor" (just a customized Specialized Allez). Originally, they were done by hand, so the originals look just a little more delicate and uneven, but really, no one will notice and who has the skill to do them by hand anymore (I still think it's amazing that there were people doing these all day every day back then and having them come out as nice as they did).

View attachment 850851
I ment nickeling the parts not the frame or fork. Thanks for the feedback, and that’s a beautiful original you have there. Anthony

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
$25.00
eBay Auction Picture
$25.00
eBay Auction Picture
$9.99
eBay Auction Picture
$12.00
eBay Auction Picture
$15.00
eBay Auction Picture