When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Racer or Roadster?

-

anders1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Can any of you Iver guys explain what would determine whether a 1912 diomand frame was meant to be a racer or roadster? Or could it have been either?
5C0CC275-19DC-48FC-9091-B72F9E9C3A5A.jpeg

Tube height is 24”. Wheel base center to center axel is 43 1/2”.
0E1034C5-341E-43AA-8ACF-3679A9BC9AA5.jpeg

Rear wheel is narrower than the front. I’m guessing that the rear is original and front was replaced at some point.

Hi anders1,
Giving your Iver a quick "once over", I'd guess that it is a model 87 Men's Roadster. In general, (and this is if no parts have been swapped out over the years and it was not repainted) a racer would have a nickel plated head tube and fork, a narrower fork with a strait top (not the arched crown type), single hairline pinstripping on the frame, double hairline pinstripping if it were the Special Racer, most probably a snowflake chainring, most probably handlebars with more of a drop, and lastly, the small space behind the seat tube and the chain stays is much smaller on a racer than a roadster. There are other "frame geometry" hints that others may chime in on. This is only my opinion ..............and you know what they say about opinions. Pete in Fitchburg
1912 #14.jpg

Last edited:
Hi anders1,
Giving your Iver a quick "once over", I'd guess that it is a model 87 Men's Roadster. In general, (and this is if no parts have been swapped out over the years and it was not repainted) a racer would have a nickel plated head tube and fork, a narrower fork with a strait top (not the arched crown type), single hairline pinstripping on the frame, most probably a snowflake chainring, most probably handlebars with more of a drop, and lastly, the small space behind the seat tube and the chain stays is much smaller on a racer than a roadster. There are other "frame geometry" hints that others may chime in on. This is only my opinion ..............and you know what they say about opinions. Pete in Fitchburg
View attachment 850486
Actually Pete, that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I was hoping it could be a racer, but I’m very pleased with what it is. After I get this one home I’ll be searching for a IJ racer. So if anyone has a project I’m interested. Thanks everyone for your feedback and anymore is certainly welcome! Enjoy the ride my friends. Anthony

Back