When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Racer or Roadster?

-
Hi Patric,

This is what that bike looks like today........Pete in Fitchburg

IMG_4059.JPG

Good morning Pete. How do I find a stencil set for those pins? I suspect the IJ that I recently acquired my have been repainted at some point as you pointed out. If so then I guess I have 3 options #1 leave it as is which is unlikely #2 strip it and try to expose original paint then leave it regardless of condition #3 strip and restore frame and fork as you have done. I probably wouldn’t do a new nickel finish on this project because it looks pretty decent and I like a little patina. Though I do not like a pore repaint job. Do you or anybody else have any advice?

The nickel would be incorrect for a roadster, anyway, so that would save you a nice chunk of change. I think it's unlikely you'll find much of pinstripes under newer paint as it looks like it was originally painted over the glossy lacquer paint, so it was not very durable. If mine wasn't so nicely original, I'd want to restore it—they look amazing in like-new condition, but then finding the right fork and doing the nickel plate would be more than I'd want to put into it (and I kind of like the incorrect fork because it shows it's lived some life and I like to think the original broke in a racing incident). I used the same kind of stencils as Handyman for pinstriping my 2000 Iver Johnson "Major Taylor" (just a customized Specialized Allez). Originally, they were done by hand, so the originals look just a little more delicate and uneven, but really, no one will notice and who has the skill to do them by hand anymore (I still think it's amazing that there were people doing these all day every day back then and having them come out as nice as they did).

15252495_10154300906023191_1869348801863917888_o.jpg

The nickel would be incorrect for a roadster, anyway, so that would save you a nice chunk of change. I think it's unlikely you'll find much of pinstripes under newer paint as it looks like it was originally painted over the glossy lacquer paint, so it was not very durable. If mine wasn't so nicely original, I'd want to restore it—they look amazing in like-new condition, but then finding the right fork and doing the nickel plate would be more than I'd want to put into it (and I kind of like the incorrect fork because it shows it's lived some life and I like to think the original broke in a racing incident). I used the same kind of stencils as Handyman for pinstriping my 2000 Iver Johnson "Major Taylor" (just a customized Specialized Allez). Originally, they were done by hand, so the originals look just a little more delicate and uneven, but really, no one will notice and who has the skill to do them by hand anymore (I still think it's amazing that there were people doing these all day every day back then and having them come out as nice as they did).

View attachment 850851
I ment nickeling the parts not the frame or fork. Thanks for the feedback, and that’s a beautiful original you have there. Anthony

Back