When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ivory vs white

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mark Johnston

Finally riding a big boys bike
I wonder if ivory is the correct color for restoring old Schwinns?
In some of my other hobbies I’ve found that folks use coffee, tobacco, and other methods to age white to match old finishes.
Or was the original paint actually an ivory color?
Just thinking out loud.

I have wondered that too but I think age and paint oxidation might play a role also? Not sure? I’ll probably go with ivory to at least make it closer?

I have wondered that too but I think age and paint oxidation might play a role also? Not sure? I’ll probably go with ivory to at least make it closer?
Exactly what I was getting at, was the original paint white, or closer to a cream color like the survivors have now?
Vintage Les Paul guitars and their white bindings etc. have changed colors over the years depending on how they were stored, environment, etc.
I just wonder if the same natural aging process is giving us a false sense of the correct original color on Schwinns?

I believe both Ivory and dirty White were used depending on the year, model and paint scheme. These two 46's had Ivory trim.

1555227827422.png

Most of the literature I have seen calls it ivory. My 39 and my 51 are both ivory.

So from what’s written it looks like ivory is an acceptable color and preferred?

I have also seen an "Antique White" (Rust-Oleum) for do-it yourselfers.
The 'color-matched' cap looks fairly white to me, (not almond or ivory).
A key in white or lighter colors of paint may be the use of white primer.

The old Ford color Wimbledon White is said to be a match for some of the Schwinns. Remember when the newer 90's F trucks had a color change and the older trucks with Wimbledon White looked like a dirty white compared to the new Titanium bright azz white that's used today.

So from what’s written it looks like ivory is an acceptable color and preferred?

What years and models are you referring to? The mid 50's + models had a different White. Wasp, Spitfires etc..

1555262437298.png

Back