When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J.C. Higgins and a few general hub questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BartRidesEternal

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding my (growing) hub collection. I did search this forum, but couldnt find a specific or general topic.

20240215_193319.jpg

Left to Right:
1940/41 New Departure model D.
1946 Bendix from Canada (never used).
1952 Sachs Torpedo.
year? J.C. Higgins.

20221216_203721.jpg

1940 Sachs Torpedo.

1. Most hubs have sprockets that utilize a 'thread' and nut to mount them. Are the American and European interchangeable? (Same thread type).
  2. Is the general rule: Nut = left hand thread and the sprocket = right hand thread?
  3. What is the specific thread and TPI for the sprockets? Asking for a friend.
  4. Are these sprockets hard to come by?
  5. What year is the J.C. Higgins hub? There is no date on any of the parts.
  6. The bearings of the J.C. Higgins are locked between two wedges it seems, therefore hard(er) to remove. Is there an order to remove them?
  7. How reliable are these hubs? Any weak spots? (Mainly the Bendix, New Departure and J.C. Higgins, since they use similar mechanical principles).

Some pictures that put context with the questions:

20240305_101716.jpg

J.C. Higgins: Locknut is removed. Sprocket is quite stuck.

20240305_101659.jpg

J.C. Higgins: The other end. You can not take the bearing out. How would they position or assemble these in the factory?
Or change them at a bicycle shop back in the day?

20240305_100843.jpg

J.C. Higgins: Brake side bearing is also stuck between two wedges, which does seem one piece or parts.

20240305_100546.jpg

J.C. Higgins: Clutch assembly with brake shoes.
The springy plate makes sure the cone will not rotate freely, but with a slight load. Without it the cone would just rotate in between braking and pedaling.

20240215_180138.jpg

New Departure model D: Same clutch system, different brake shoes (plates).

I deeply enjoy rebuilding these hubs, but like mentioned in an other topic, I am a little hecitant/reluctant to actually use such an old piece in such great shape. You kinda want to preserve them, since spare parts are more scarce (especially here in the EU, regarding the American/Canadian hubs). They are made to use, that's for sure.

What are your thoughts on that?

Thank you for any help on answering my questions!

Last edited:
Back