When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J.C. Higgins Flightliner Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Self Etch primer applied and ready for paint...

IMG_2524.jpg
IMG_2460.jpg

The Resto-Mod is coming along nicely. This was my first time ever spray gun painting and I made a few errors along the way but was able to correct them. Also, had a local shop do some chrome work on some parts and I think they came out amazing.

81AC6723-9AEB-46B0-B002-F5E9CB4AE36B.jpeg

29EE4695-B788-4384-834A-B9E96A59DD70.jpeg

3D3A8BA6-68E7-4374-83CB-6D37D1220EFE.jpeg

I know this isn’t anywhere close to the original color but I love it

@5M3D1N4 What is the name of that color? Does it match an automotive color or is it a custom mix? Looks great. Can't wait to see it all together.

Thank you for the oxalic acid recommendation. I will be trying that on the chrome parts. I just placed my amazon order and will probably work on it this weekend.

I was thinking of having the frame, fork, tank and rack sandblasted and powder coated. I got a quote for $240 for all parts. Don't know if that is a reasonable price or is that too steep? I was thinking of doing anodized red, similar to the picture below, with the tank as a matte white.

View attachment 1255118
Sandblasting and powder coating a frame and fork is $100 here. They do good work, the motorcyclests use them and they are picky. $250 is still a lot cheaper than paint.

Sandblasting and powder coating a frame and fork is $100 here. They do good work, the motorcyclests use them and they are picky. $250 is still a lot cheaper than paint.
I wanted to get the whole bike done, including the tank and rear rack but the cheapest powder coat quote I got was about $250. The Amazon paint kit was a good deal for $100. I’ve already spent more than what the bike is worth lol

I wanted to get the whole bike done, including the tank and rear rack but the cheapest powder coat quote I got was about $250. The Amazon paint kit was a good deal for $100. I’ve already spent more than what the bike is worth lol
We all do that. Car guys spend more on a paint job than the car is worth. One of my bike buddies got a nice probably 60s Paramount and wanted to make it nicer. He sent the frame and fork away to one of the Schwinn heirs who still had the original paint and decals. This was probably ten or fifteen years ago. After he got it back the rest of the bike, that he used to think was nice, looked shabby. He got NOS rims, seat and other original stuff. He buffed up all the alloy with very fine polishing compound. Talk about a project that got out of hand. $6000 total investment so it sits on display on his shop wall. My Gloria track bike project that I posted a few days ago here got out of hand too. Rebuilding of the frame and a track alignment by a pro, plating, sourcing vintage track bike parts all came to $4000. I don’t think I could get that for the bike. The big reason I did that was because old track bikes are rare and large framed ones very rare. I wanted the large frame.

Back