When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J.C. Higgins Flightliner Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have a 59 Fligtliner outfitted just like yours (except a missing tank.) When you get ready to disassemble the springer let me know and I'll give you some details as to how it comes apart. It appears to me that there's a lot of surface rust but that should come off easily. Keep us updated a you progress. In case you haven't noticed, your bike is missing the taillight. There's a picture and a description on the catalog page posted above.

Last edited:
back to touching on the 'resto-mod' restoration with modifications, not truly a restoration and nowhere near a concours restoration.

I did this bicycle about 5 years ago (or more), while not a flightliner, it was a Murray built bicycle. As for this bike, there was not much original paint to save, so I went to town on it. Also it had been run over, I had to straighten the frame from 5" of bend - front to back. In retrospect it would have been far better to invest the money in something already in good shape that I could have ridden. However, at that time I was recovering from surgery and it gave me something to do with my time and energy.

Powder on the frame, fork, tank and rack, all original chrome, a lot of aluminum foil, water and blood went into that. It was a learning experience.

Have fun with your bike.

Dear 5M3D1N4 (is that a robot from one of the Star Wars movies?:(
Here's the relevant page from 1960 Sears catalog cut. The subject bike (4606) is a "Deluxe Flightliner." I am the proud owner of a 1960 "Equipped Flightliner," which was a cheaper model with a plain fork and painted fenders (see photo below). What Piercer was referring to as "rest-mod" is, I think, the concept that restoration is the process of returning the bike to as near as new condition as practical. Once you do something different than original, e.g., powder coating, it is no longer restoration, even if the modification could be considered an improvement. So once you go down that road, all bets are off and you can make any modification you want -- paint it different colors, add or remove parts, etc. It may be very cool, but it will never be a restored bike.
Have fun!

View attachment 1255625

View attachment 1255626
I have no idea how you guys get these catalogs but i'm loving all the support here. Thank you!
Mine is definitely going to be a resto-mod. I love the patina and the vintage look on bikes but with this Flightliner, i wanted to look fresh off the shelf with a few updated modifications.

I have a 59 Fligtliner outfitted just like yours (except a missing tank.) When you get ready to disassemble the springer let me know and I'll give you some details as to how it comes apart. It appears to me that there's a lot of surface rust but that should come off easily. Keep us updated a you progress. In case you haven't noticed, your bike is missing the taillight. There's a picture and a description on the catalog page posted above.

I need help with the springer please. I could not figure out how to dissemble it

back to touching on the 'resto-mod' restoration with modifications, not truly a restoration and nowhere near a concours restoration.

I did this bicycle about 5 years ago (or more), while not a flightliner, it was a Murray built bicycle. As for this bike, there was not much original paint to save, so I went to town on it. Also it had been run over, I had to straighten the frame from 5" of bend - front to back. In retrospect it would have been far better to invest the money in something already in good shape that I could have ridden. However, at that time I was recovering from surgery and it gave me something to do with my time and energy.

Powder on the frame, fork, tank and rack, all original chrome, a lot of aluminum foil, water and blood went into that. It was a learning experience.

Have fun with your bike.

View attachment 1257641

View attachment 1257642
OMG thats an amazing resto-mod. That is inspiring. The chrome looks flawless.

An updates. Bike has been disassembled and currently in an oxalic acid bath. Was not able to disassemble the springer. Have no idea how it comes off. There is so much rust so hope this bath helps. I know im going to be scrubbing for hours.
IMG_7210.jpg
IMG_7197.jpg
IMG_7202.jpg

As for the rear taillight. I know they are extremely hard to find. Especially the twin taillight. But it looks to me that the tail light lenses are the same as the Delta Hi-Fin Twin Tail lights? Was thinking of possibly picking one of those up and 3D print the housing.

1958-JC-Higgins-Flightliner-original-07-1024x768.jpg

rutepepu-1.jpg

76c1ac6e8b5a4f7b940d5d3589fd6508.jpg

If you'll go back and re-read post #11, I told you that if you needed help getting the springer apart that I could help you. If you still want to take it apart, let me know.
Ed

I need help with the springer please. I could not figure out how to dissemble it
It's pretty easy. You have to pry one of the caps off of the bar that runs through the spring. You will probably ruin it, but it's easily replaceable. The replacement part is called a star lock axle cap. You'll need ones for a 1/2" axle.

Back