When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J C Higgins Info Needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Art Smith

On Training Wheels
I found this Higgins balloon tire bike today, but I can't find any image that matches this bike. The serial numbers are 505 45020s and 1579394. Any help would be appreciated. The fender light seems unusual. I tried searching for a Higgins date base and hit a bad spam site and had to reboot. Sad.

bike.jpg

I found this Higgins balloon tire bike today, but I can't find any image that matches this bike. The serial numbers are 505 45020s and 1579394. Any help would be appreciated. The fender light seems unusual. I tried searching for a Higgins date base and hit a bad spam site and had to reboot. Sad.

View attachment 1788079
Welcome...... I'm sure someone will be by shortly with some idea....

Austria I think ?, 1956, odd duck!, 3 piece crank, plastic head lite and the dummy chrome wedges don't even cover a frame bar like the Murry built bikes

image.jpg

I think the dead giveaway to it being the outsourced European bike is the three piece crank. Just like the one that is referenced in the 3rd post.

They called these "strike bikes" in the hobby. I've searched online and never found any historical evidence of strikes at bike co.'s in '56. But, Sears' main bike supplier, Murray, was building their new factory in Lawrenceburg, TN that year. So, it's likely that Sears had their Euro supplier, Steyr/Daimler/Puch, make some cruisers for them. You also see Monark and Chain Bike Corp. (Ross) built JC Higgins bikes around this time.

Back