When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J C Higgins Info

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

streetrodder_1940

Look Ma, No Hands!
I found this J C Higgins at a yard sale and I am trying to find more information on it. I am thinking late 40's or early 50's. The one feature that I found to be unusual is that the frame "bolts" together at the seat post. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rudy
jch3.jpg
jch2.jpg
jch1.jpg
jch4.jpg

I thought I saw somewhere on the bike " Made in USA", I am not 100% positive on that but when I get back in my shop, I will certainly check it out. I just bought it out of curiosity. I'm not sure what I am going to do with it yet.That #95221 is the only number on it and doesn't seem to jive with any Higgins numbers I have seen

Thanks

Cottered crank so it's European, however that was a year (1957?) that there was a strike so they outsourced oversees. So you probably have a strike jc higgins

Thank You. I have noticed a couple things about this bike that just didn't follow suit with other bikes from this era. Most girl's bikes have a brace between the 2 frame tubes between the head tube and seat tube, this one does not. Similar to English made bikes. Also I don't understand the purpose of the frame being bolted only at the seat clamp when others are welded..

The fact that production was outsourced does explain a lot.
Thank You

Really nothing on the bike looks like a Higgins from that era except the chainguard. I’ve seen a Monark built Higgins boys bike that was said to be a strike year bike as well.

Really nothing on the bike looks like a Higgins from that era except the chainguard. I’ve seen a Monark built Higgins boys bike that was said to be a strike year bike as well.
The only thing I saw was a Higgins decal on the frame under the seat. It could be an after market decal, but the woman I bought from said it was hers when she was a young girl, she is in her 80's. The 2 unusual things is there is no brace between the tubes between the head tube and sprocket, and the frame is bolted together under the seat. I have never seen these features on any other bike. On the rear hub "Made in Germany" is stamped on it. I'm having a difficult time trying to figure this one out.

No strike, but Sears' main bike supplier, Murray, was building their new plant in TN in 1956, so Sears had to find another source. They found Steyr/Daimler/Puch, a European collective that had several factories, and made a lot of things besides bikes. The imported JCH's have the country of origin at the bottom of the head badge. I believe most of the '56s were made in West Germany. Puch was making lightweight 3 speed touring bikes for them in their Austrian factory through the late '70s. A bolt through rear stay was a cheaper bike, NY importer Stelber sold a lot of them under their name, and got a bad rep for their poor durability. Stelber may have been involved with Sears as far as getting them together with S/D/P, or possibly even the importing of them. Older stories about this say the import JCH's were made by Stelber, but there's no evidence they did any manufacturing, as even their later brand, Iverson was made by CBC/Ross.

Back