When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J.C. Higgins mens bike.

-
Yes, Jetflow. What seems to be correct are the frame , the rear rack, and chainring/crank. I do believe the fork is from a sears bike, but an earlier Elgin model. As to what to do with the bike--make it a rider. I have a western flyer X-53 (same frame, essentially same fork as beehive) and it rides nice. The Beehive fork is not at all uncommon and perhaps a kind American can hook you up for smallish money. You are right about the tank--expensive and a bit hard to find(and then the matter of where you are). I would get rid of the front rack--it's inelegant.

About the fork, i do believe it could be a JCH fork.
Because on my restored JCH Ladies bike i did find the same fork.

JC 003.jpg

Before i started the restoration on this bike, nobody could either tell me what fork this was.

055a Special de luxe $ 400,-.jpg

055j.jpg

But when i did have finnished the restoration of my ladies bike, i came across this JCH Special De Luxe bike on Ebay i believe.

Sp dL 04.JPG

The decals on the fork and tank, and painting of the frame i could see on my bike.
Were exactly the same as on the JCH Special De Luxe Bike.
So i do believe that the fork with the stars on it, could be a JCH Special De Luxe fork.
WillWork4Parts & all riders, what do you think about my theory?
Do you believe i could be right?

Last edited:

Before i started the restoration on this bike, nobody could either tell me what fork this was.

But when i did have finnished the restoration of my ladies bike, i came across this JCH Special De Luxe bike on Ebay i believe.

The decals on the fork and tank, and painting of the frame i could see on my bike.
So i do believe that the fork with the stars on it, could be a JCH Special De Luxe fork.
With a quick net search of Higgins Special Deluxe, I found some images that agree. None appear to be attached to that notched style frame though. These pics look like earlier bikes, earlier than the frame in question at least.
E8EAFB6D-5961-4B0B-824A-4BF2953B4F8E.jpeg

I even found a Monark made Special Deluxe Higgins.

And here's the initial plate crown fork I was thinking of.

View attachment 1519772

View attachment 1519773

View attachment 1519778

View attachment 1519774
That is not the same fork as the OG Posters bike. His looks like an Elgin fork to me.

My JC Higgins men's bike is rideable at this moment.
20220307_173745b.jpg

The rack @ the front is gone, because it didn't fit properly.
In the front there is a modern wheel from a donor bike.
And i needed to remove the old tyres because they where cracked too much.
Now there are old Electra Red Line tyres fit to the wheels.
I'm not sure of wich fenders i'm going to use.
On the pic. above the fenders wich came with the bike are still on it.

IMAG0962.jpg

But maybee i'm gonna use these peaked fenders wich came from my JC Higgins Ladies bike.
IMAG1327.jpg

And finaly, today i've bought this tank for the bike.
50's Tank 2 a.jpg
Okay it's repainted.
50's Tank 2 d.jpg

50's Tank 2 e.jpg

But at least within a few weeks i do now have a tank.😁

Last edited:
Here’s a model 4546 in the 1957 Sears S/S ( spring / summer ) catalog. The script will tell you everything. Looks like you are missing the springer fork, tank, chainguard, and light. I guessing that it was used as a delivery bike (big aftermarket front rack) and the springer fork and headlight had to be removed to make room for the rack. The picture in post #6 looks to correct. Scratch off some paint on the fenders and see if they’re not paint over chrome. Good luck.

IMG_1271.jpeg

@rideahiggins Elgin was the prewar name used by Sears to market their bikes; JC Higgins was the post year name. Parts are the same, only the name changed. The starred fork is a JC Higgins. Here is a picture of the fork on my original 1952 JC Higgins Special Deluxe. Hey, that’s my bike in post #14 before I found a tank. 😁

IMG_1272.jpeg

Last edited:
Today the tank for the Jet Flow has arrived.

20230621_130948.jpg

Offcourse the tank had to go on the bike immediately.
The Delta Horn wich came with the tank didn't make any sound.
After reading this https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/the-definitive-thread-on-horn-repair.27648/ topic.
I've got it working again.
Started with no sound at all, it now is very loud.👌
I also have put a Dutch made leather Lepper Sadle to the bike.
Wich makes it more comfortable to ride on it.
The Electra chainguard is just hanging over the chainwheel, to see if this would fit.
Now trying to find more parts.

Last edited:
Because i wanted to know, in which condition the chrome underneath the black paint is.
I have stripped the black paint, of the left tank half.
20230625_103321 b.jpg

The chrome is not good anymore, there was some light rust and it has been sanded to give the paint a hold.
But I like this much better than the black paint.
20230625_103211 b.jpg

Back