When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J C Higgins Serial Number

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

stevielee777

On Training Wheels
I just acquired an old bike in great shape. Was told it was a 1955 but that's about all. The chain guard just says jc Higgins - no model name. The serial numbers are 503 4628 and 1672361. Can you tell me anything more about it? was it indeed made in 55? Is it an Import?

503 was an import code. 502 being Murray, most common in the '50s. Murray was building a new factory in 1956, so Sears had an importer supply a lot of their bikes that year. Most of those have a "Made in W. Germany" decal.

Sorry it took so long to get back but here are some pics of the bike I asked about.

IMAG1121.jpg

IMAG1130.jpg

IMAG1122.jpg

IMAG1123.jpg

IMAG1124.jpg

IMAG1126.jpg

IMAG1128.jpg

Wow, that's a nice looking bike. One of the Sears lightweights. Don't see them in that burgundy as often. Usually I see black ones. They don't have a high collector value but I like em. Solidly built and nice riders. Made in Austria as it says on the headbadge. I think that this model was available in burgundy until 1960 when it was the changed to black. It's possible it is a '55, I wouldn't know for sure.
Additionally, it looks like someone has upgraded it with some Raleigh parts such as the grips, peddles and the nicest bonus a Brooks saddle. Beautiful bike!
Just noticed another bonus. Looks like you have Kool-stop brake pads. Supposed to work better when wet.

Last edited:
Made by Puch in Austria. Probably between 1955-62. '4628' is part of the Sears catalog #, it's listed in the spring '56 catalog, but says it's black. These style bikes had similar #'s until '63, when they switched to 47000 series numbers.

Thanks a lot guys! I Appreciate your time and knowledge. I bought it for resale but I do like it alot. It also has brand new tires. Seriously thinking about keeping it. What do you think I could get for it should I decide to sell?

Thanks a lot guys! I Appreciate your time and knowledge. I bought it for resale but I do like it alot. It also has brand new tires. Seriously thinking about keeping it. What do you think I could get for it should I decide to sell?
Also, does it have a model
name?

The model name is just "Lightweight". The amount you might get for it varies from region to region. First thing I would do is swap out the Brooks saddle. That alone may bring in more than $75 to the right person. As I mentioned before the bike isn't a heavily sought after model. It's condition looks great. Around my area you might get $100 - $150 with the og saddle or it could sit around online until you took less.

I haven't seen any come up I'm my area in that condition. If it fits you well then you should keep it. I love em. Sturdy dependable riders and that one looks awesome!

Back