When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J.C. Higgins serial number

-

m_fumich

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just acquired my first vintage bike. My friend picked it up from the seller yesterday and I'll get it the next time I'm through Baltimore. Being a truck driver makes it easier to get stuff from all over without paying shipping cost.

My friend checked the serial number and it is 10061 6. I'm betting it's a 1961. Can anyone give me a full breakdown of the serial number?

If it is a 60's Higgins then, it should have more to the serial number than what you have posted.
Because the serial numbers are located on the rear dropout of the left side of the frame, most rear wheel mountin has large wasers and nut that will cover the prefix of the serial number.

If it is a Murray built Higgins the serial shoul start with a "MO" and followed by a letter or number, then the model number and the catalog number....at least I think that's how it is laid out.
Pictures of the bike are a sure way to assist in the model deciphering task.
Style of the chainring will determine the Manufacturer unless it is a thrown together bike (frankenbike). Boys had a tendency to do that back then, change / swap parts to please the desired look they wanted.

Welcome to the Cabe by the way. It's a great place to assist you in the soon to be addiction, you will experience.

JD

Here's the bike. I haven't picked it up yet. It could be a while before I can. I'll get my buddy to take another look.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!okFCft6eJWWBQqrTJu8v!~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!okFCft6eJWWBQqrTJu8v!~~60_3.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 802
  • $T2eC16R,!)sE9swmZpRsBQqrTfvoTw~~60_3.JPG
    $T2eC16R,!)sE9swmZpRsBQqrTfvoTw~~60_3.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 843
  • $(KGrHqR,!pYFCJMZEPfPBQqrUeCcj!~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqR,!pYFCJMZEPfPBQqrUeCcj!~~60_3.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 919
  • $(KGrHqF,!gsFCYKe8)KdBQqrS3YH(!~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqF,!gsFCYKe8)KdBQqrS3YH(!~~60_3.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 880
Higgins

Somebodies been messing with the fenders and it's missing the rear rack. Might be hard to find since it's a 24". Here is a 26" with the rack and correct fenders.
1061 fliteliner.jpg

Here is a late 26" model JC Higgins painted frame "Flightliner" that I picked up this week that needs some major cleaning. I decided to get this one for the rear rack which has a tailight. Shame its missing one lens.
I haven't checked the serial number yet. But is a "MO" prefix.
The rack is for sale but the rear mounting wont fit a 24" unless the mounting can be changed out.
In fact the whole bike is for sale.

ry7yhedu-1.jpg

ubuvasem-1.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
here's the serial number

I picked up the bike today. The serial number is

MOS 39 X51
10061 6

Last edited:
MO "S" indicates it's a 1960 as per the unconfirmed and sometimes not correct (as per opinions) Murray Serial Number Project

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-7014.html

I know you mentioned it was a Murray badged Flightliner but, the only Murray indicator is the chainring. The badge is actually the "JC Higgin" legend on the side of the tank. I can't read the seat tube decal, Maybe something there says Murray?

The 39 X 51 denotation, I can't answer with any certainty. "X" is mentioned as a quanity built bike order for a certain retailer being "51"....but, again there is no mention what retailer that is as per the list above.

If it was sold by Sears, then the serial number could be researched here. Here I have researched a "7" bar Spaceliner serial number

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...s/Model-502469440/0934/1303200/00027911/00001

Sorry I can't be more help.

JD

Last edited:
Well, that gives me the important stuff. It's a Murray built 1960 JC Higgins Flightliner.

more pics

Here are a couple more pictures. The head badge and seat decal.

BTW, I just got home with the bike. My wife hasn't seen it yet. I stopped to put air in the tires and someone offered to buy it. Sorry, just got it.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1365794460396.jpg
    ResizedImage_1365794460396.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 727
  • ResizedImage951365794494763.jpg
    ResizedImage951365794494763.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:
Back