When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J L Mead Co

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Leathernecks choice!

Check the lower left column. US Marines ordered bikes and tires from Mead in 1918. I would love to know more about what models they ordered.

booksidkgMsAQAAMAAJpgRA2PR20img1zoom3hle-1.jpg

Love this thread, thought I would add on this ad. Earlier mentioning Premier Cycles and somewhere along the line Mead must have bought them out, or a portion. Until now, I only saw Mead advertising these Premier bikes in the early teens.
Here the Premier name reappears in this 30's Mead catalog... Still at it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376497078.401132.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376497093.635533.jpg

I wonder if H.T Mead & Prentiss was a different concern from Mead Cycle Co.?

Last edited:
I wonder if H.T Mead & Prentiss was a different concern from Mead Cycle Co.?
Found this the other day.

Question... How do you readers interpret the part circled in blue? Did both companies exist simultaneously or ?

What is the earliest known Mead (no Prentiss) bike?

My guess they existed simultaneously with his partner Prentiss until Mead bought out his "branch".

As far as the H.T. Mead adverts there are other examples of different versions prior to 1900.

1896-7 ads

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

1897 ad

attachment.php

My theory is that they used these different prefixes as a way to track what publication the readers were ordering from so they knew which one was selling more from.

I'm working on some major editing of this thread as I've found some new info that I want to repost to make it more complete and follow a proper timeline.

Back