When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jaguar bike. Would love some info about this!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Zdariot

On Training Wheels
Hello!

My name is Jeffrey, I am from The Netherlands and new on this forum. I have stumbled upon this bike a few days ago. I cannot find any info on it. Where it's from or anything. The saddle is Dutch, Gear is Simplex. Please let me know if you can educate me. Hope to hear from you all.

- Jeffrey

IMG_20200525_124104.jpg

IMG_20200525_124220.jpg

IMG_20200524_141119.jpg

-----

Hello Jeffrey and welcome to the forum! :smiley:

Bicycle manufactured in Germany by Panther Fahrradwerke A-G. (AKA Pantherwerke AG)

Panther Fahrradwerke – Wikipedia

We had another one recently here on the forum:

The cycle's hubs and pedals appear to be WECO brand (DE).

Saddle not original to bicycle.

Date appears near to 1974.

You should be able to get a specific date from the machine's Simplex gear mechs:

if the bicycle's wheel rims are Rigida SUPERCHROMIX brand you may also find a date inside a small diamond symbol as here:

hope this helps you a bit.

if you have any other questions about it shall essay to answer...;)

-----

Last edited:
Hello Juvela,

That is a lot of clarity already. Thank you very much. I love those rims. They're so pretty.

One more question would be 'is there a market for the bike? Do I have something special?' In The Netherlands no one seems to know a lot about it, but on the German Ebay it seems pretty common. :)

- Jeffrey

-----

Hello Jeffrey,

German products in general do not get much respect amongst vintage bicycle enthusiasts.

We have another member located in NL @non-fixie . He should be able to give you some helpful information on the NL cycle market...

All best wishes from California

-----

Welcome to The Cabe, Jeffrey!

Interesting find! Juvela is correct. BITD German bicycles were regarded as cheap and flimsy, compared to the sturdy Gazelles and Batavus'. They weren't very popular (the fact that the Germans confiscated many Dutch bicycles during WWII probably didn't help matters either) and the ones that made it to Holland were run into the ground pretty quickly. Pretty amazing you found one in such a nice condition.

It's not worth much, but if it's your size, and you like it, it is worth finding a more appropriate saddle for it (this one is designed for more upright riding) and positioning the brake levers correctly, i.e. a bit higher, for comfort and looks.

Enjoy it!

Hi Non-Fixie,

Now this is also very nice to read. That's very interesting. And logical. And I was thinking the same. Kind of crazy that this one is in such a condition still.

To be honest, driving it feels really special. I think I'll keep it, and, as you also suggest, put a different saddle on it. Positioning the Brake levers is a nice idea too. I'll try keeping it in a crisp condition. Thanks again En goed om te weten dat er in Nederland zoveel kennis is over retro fietsen! Dankjewel.

Gr. Jeffrey

-----

Hope you enjoy it Jeffrey.

It is quite unusual to find a forty-six year old cycle in such fine condition and so all original.

Appears that only the saddle has been changed from what was there from the factory. :)

-----

Back