When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jaguar mark iv questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ADReese

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I usually collect balloon tire Schwinns, but I could not pass up the opportunity to own this Aug of '60 Jaguar. I know very little about middleweights. Where could I obtain a new or used lense for the headlight? Has anyone swapped the handlebars successfully to create a more laid back riding position? More like the balloon tire bars. Not sure what I can get away with considering the hand brakes and shifter. I'll keep the original bars, just want to make it more relaxed to ride.

Thanks!
20191015_181036.jpg

20191015_181016.jpg

20191015_180952.jpg

20191015_180947.jpg

That's a dang nice Jag! Sure looks NOS on my screen. Give @Classicriders a jingle about a lens. If he doesn't make them for Schwinn Pumpkin maybe he can give you a lead.

That style of bars is called Northroad and I picked up a set that were branded Sunlite just to see if they were close to the originals. The rise is more at 3" verses the 2.5" and the width is greater at 23" due to a longer pull back of 1.5" more than the original Schwinn's. These will look somewhat original but that 1.5" added to the pull back might ? be enough.

Thanks! It's like a brand new bike. I wish I could find a balloon tire bike in this shape. Came from the family of the original owner. Spent its life in an attic. I'll give classic riders a message and see what they offer. I see ball light lenses being reproduced on Ebay. Do all of the ball light styles take a similar lense?
Thank you for the heads up on the bars. I googled them and think they might be exactly what I need!

While we're at it, are there any recommended places to get original style brake pads? What do the stock ones look like? I like these because they are soft on the wheels but they look far too modern.

Last edited:
I need to buy the whole assembly to replace these pads. I see some on Ebay that are listed as
20191015_204228.jpg

replacements for krates with red rubber. Are those close?

There are quite a few variants of the old Weinmann on the market today. During the 50's and 60's it was the salmon color 6 bump pad and the housing was open at one end for pad replacement and used the acorn mounting nut. If you just want close to original there are plenty of the 7 bump salmon color complete with closed end mounting housing.

I'm not a purest when replacing brake pads on all of my old Schwinns because the prices for NOS originals are absurd. These were dirt cheap from Niagara a couple years ago so my riders have these.
1571210724366.png

what a bike! sure looks minty to me. I've replaced some of my old Weinmann salmon colored originals to these salmon colored KoolStop Continentals on a few bikes over the years. Kept the originals but stopping safety was important for the bikes I rode and these seemed to be a nice compromise. I've also gotten some of the black ones like GT posted, also worked well. http://www.koolstop.com/english/continental.html

Jay

Back