When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jaguar mk iv question?

-

Matthompson

Look Ma, No Hands!
HI guys looking to pick your brains on another Schwinn over here in the UK.

From my research I'm thinking this bike should have a tank, front and back racks....also the seat and pedals have been changed??

The other puzzling thing is the forks? Shouldn't they have the chrome V shaped top and not just plain like these. .... question's questions ??

WP_20170522_13_14_52_Pro.jpg
1961-schwinn-jaguar-mark4.jpg

You pretty much nailed it, it should have a tank, both racks and a fork crown. The fork is the correct style with the hole for the brake caliper bolt. Seat and pedals are wrong, and also missing rear reflector.
Two other things that stand out to me are the right brake handle has been replaced as well as the shifter. Notice the brake handles are different, the left is the "eye stabber" style where the end of the handle comes to a point, while the right handle is the later style with the rounded end. Hope this helps.

Wow the brake lever...you have a keen eye!

What do you think has happened with the fork....a later replacement?

Thanks for the reply!!

looks like a ballooner jag,with newer brake handles,are the tires 2.125?is the rear hub aluminum?just askin cause the tires look bigger than middleweights

It's a little confusing without the serial number....It does look like it has larger wheels like the HW Jags but then the chainguard would be wrong, they had a Phantom style guard. If it's a MW Jag then it wouldn't have the Schwinn script on the top bar, it would be on the tank.....Problem solved, just change the C/G decal to a Corvette. I have done it many times to an incomplete Jag. Here is a pic of the latest Jag I just
cv2.JPG
turned into a Corvette

Something going on with the fenders also. Jags and Corvettes were stainless and the rear on that one looks like it has rust pits. Front fender looks shorter too and possibly changed out. The drilled fork with that V dart is for a Speedster or Tiger and it's missing the chrome crown. No seat tube decal for identification so the bike could have been a Speedster, Tiger or Corvette. If both fenders are wrong and the fork is original, then it was either a Speedster or Tiger. Both brake levers are incorrect if that bike is older than a 64 model.
IMO, that's pretty much a frankenschwinn but it's a decent rider.

Last edited:
Wow...this is interesting guys. I thought it was odd but now you've highlighted things way beyond my knowledge.

Thanks, I'll pass on this one I think.

Back