When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jaguar Project Part Two (continued)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Well, the MK IV got some street today for the first time since the 80's. Worked out a few minor glitches with the shifter, and brakes. All is good, but I'm beat.
I'll have some pics up soon.

JWM

Well, today was the official part four: ride it around. I put about ten or twelve miles on the Jag today. Damn, it felt good to ride that ol' beast again!
I have a question on the gooseneck. I noticed the pictures of the fine red Jaguar MK IV that pedalsnostalgia just posted in this section. The gooseneck on that bike has a bolt with a nut to tighten the handlebars, rather than threads in the gooseneck itself. When I first got mine, it had the same setup, but the gooseneck never did clamp down securely on the bars. I always figured someone stripped the threads in the gooseneck, and added the nut to try and keep the bars secure. Sometime before I crated the bike up I must have swapped out the gooseneck for one with threads. When I put the bike back together, it still didn't hold the bars securely, and I had to shim the handlebars and shifter with aluminum. (hint- an old license plate is perfect material) This leads me to suspect that maybe the handlebars weren't original. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

JWM

Hi JWM, First I want to say very nice Jaguar. You say your bike had a handle bar stem with AS bolts and nut and I see you have the early grips. These two items were on 1959 and some early 1960 Jaguars and Corvettes but not 61 so maybe the bars are 1959 also or replaced with aftermarket bars when the neck and grips were installed. These early bars were not date stamped so unless you have another set to match them up to its really hard to tell. In 1960 and 61 Schwinn used 3 different styles of Necks on the middle weights. I have also herd of other collectors having troubles with there bars slipping on these middle weights and it sounds like you have fixed the problem. I have not run into this problem as of yet. Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for the info, Jeff! I think I'm really starting to like this place.

JWM

I know that it is generally in poor form to hustle your private blog, but I finished the narrative on The Jaguar Project. It's the improbable story of how I came to own my small fleet of classic Schwinns. Some of the story isn't appropriate for kids, but all of it is true. Link to chapter one.

JWM

Back