When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

James

-

Jlipps

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Any information about The James bicycle would've greatly appreciated. I'm looking to sell but cant find any information

20210522_124633.jpg

20210522_124716.jpg

20210522_124654.jpg

20210522_124640.jpg

-----

unfamiliar with marque

fork crown, lugs, seat stay treatment, headset & bottom bracket cups are all suggestive of a Tube Investments product

serial should give plant location and date

---

other examples of the marque -

---

history of firm -

-----

Last edited:
'The Famous James'.
I must confess to being the custodian of an 'Arrow Ace' tandem.
A quirky, and collectable marque, much loved by enthusiasts.
I have friends that cannot help themselves if they come across any item with the 'James' badge.

The 1930s motorcycle poster that bore the legend: "Give me the moonlight, give me a James, and leave the rest to me!' is an iconic piece of UK motorcycling history.

But I digress.
I couldn't find any catalogue images of your frame style. This style of frame with the curved top tube was often reserved for the export markets (USA and Canada) and is rarely seen over here in the UK.
However the cover of the 1958 catalogue does show your headbadge design so I think you can date it from mid1950s (when TI acquired the company) to the mid 1960s probably.....
20210524_084033.jpg

(Image from V-CC library)

Earlier years had a transfer badge with the motto 'famous for over fifty years' around the top half of the badge.

Last edited:
-----

if you are curious as to a specific date for the cycle there should be a date marking on the shell of its Sturmey Archer rear hub

-----

The bike is at my friends house but I will be over there Saturday and look. I'm also trying to find a value
Thank you for the information

This popped up on IG this morning.
Seems that they were already known as "The Famous James" by 1906.
A Birmingham shop front.....
20210602_074625.jpg

Back