When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Japanese Steel

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
Looks like a great book that might lead some people to financial ruin...I have weakness for Japanese (and British) steel.

1569455928440.png

Indeed. I bought the book after listening to an interview with Bevington. Then I bought my (Ishiwata) Bianchi, then a FUJI. I still do a double take every time I see a Shogun, Miyata or Takara roll by. And I grimace more than ever when I pass a klunky Cervelo, grinding it’s sub-standard bottom bracket, and growing a crack somewhere in the Taiwanese carbon fiber.

Link to interview: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=a...E1Nzc0NTA5OGQ3MWY&hl=en&ep=6&at=1569456225590

I’ve got a 1983 Fuji Team and also love the Japanese steel of that era. The bike is a blast to ride, fast and rides great.

I've always thought this was where you were supposed to begin - source a nice Japanese frame, if you couldn't source a nice English or Italian.
Build the perfect bike - better yet, let your daughter build her perfect bike.
My daughter's '86 Team Fuji began bare frame with BB and HS, cool fluted seatpost. Coolest parts-bin part was my Sugino Mighty Comp crank, scored Hoops Kinlin wheelset, Miche 9sp cassette, Ultegra derailleurs for the chainline, Chorus brakes. Nitto noodle, Pearl stem, Tektro levers, Microshift bar ends.
$140 for the frame, $750 project - beat this at a bike shop.
1732033 1732034
1732039 1732036

My buddy's daughter built her sleeper from an '85 Shogun, $100 snag at Frankenbike - new Deore brakes and derailleurs.
1732037 1732038

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have had 3 bikes with Japanese tubing
Centurion ProTour with Tange 2
Bianchi Limited with Ishiwata 022
and the one still with me is a Batavus Competition Ishi022

I would like to have owned Tange1 and Ishi019 bikes, but you can't own them all, in my world.

Back