When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins 10-speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

Hello Gear Block Muncher,

If you would like to find one of these at lower cost you could try searching for the Puch badged version - "Puch Bergmeister."

Perhaps there are collectors of Sears badged cycles in the U.S. who tend to bring up prices for S&R labelled examples...

google can be used to search CL nationally, for example

to see a great many examples discussed which cover the period of the late 1950's to the late 1960's make a visit to BF C&V.

-----

What’s the history and what’s something like this worth? Austrian made, apparently quite rare. What model?

View attachment 1187853

View attachment 1187854

View attachment 1187855

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I left one exactly like this one on Mackinac Island when I was a student at Mackinac College in '73. I thought I would be returning to the school, so I left it at the college in my dorm room. They closed the college, and I they never returned my bike to me.

Oh, also these were sold through Sears in 1964 as @bulldog1935 stated earlier. $600 is a bit high in my opinion.....
Yes, my dad bought mine exactly like this JC Higgins ten speed for about $100 at Sears here in California (SoCal to be exact when we lived in San Pedro). I left it at Mackinac College on Mackinac Island in '73, because I thought I would be returning to school, but they closed the school down instead, and never returned my bicycle.

What’s the history and what’s something like this worth? Austrian made, apparently quite rare. What model?

View attachment 1187853

View attachment 1187854

View attachment 1187855

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I left one exactly like this one on Mackinac Island when I was a student at Mackinac College in '73. I thought I would be returning to the school, so I left it at the college in my dorm room. They closed the college, and I they never returned my bike to me.

Yes, my dad bought mine exactly like this JC Higgins ten speed for about $100 at Sears here in California (SoCal to be exact when we lived in San Pedro). I left it at Mackinac College on Mackinac Island in '73, because I thought I would be returning to school, but they closed the school down instead, and never returned my bicycle.

That's just wrong. 🥺
Great riding, solid bikes. Sorry yours was taken away. That sucks!

Looks like it might be time for new tires @Mr. Monkeyarms.

I have seen these before, but for much less than $600 ($100-$200 in decent-above average condition). Not sure as to the tubing origin on them other than being straight gauge. With cost of vintage parts nowadays it would certainly have decent value. That example to me should be in the $250-$350 range if both Campy Gran Sport deralleurs ($100-$150 and higher for the set). I can't tell if the bottle cage is an original era piece (one would expect it might be, though not OE). It certainly is an appealing bike with the internal TT cable routing among other features.

Agreed. Tires will likely be Continentals. The rear wheel on mine has been replaced and looking for an original. Got a set of VO fenders recently I thought of putting on when it gets an overhaul. Been waiting to find a correct rear wheel. I gave $75 as shown. Straight guage tubing but a good riding bike! 👍

That's just wrong. 🥺
Great riding, solid bikes. Sorry yours was taken away. That sucks!
Yes, that bike meant a lot to me. My dad passed away before I could ever find it. Back in the sixties, $100 plus was a LOT of money, and after my dad had spent even more money shipping it to me in Michigan, and then it just got left there I think really broke his heart. It really makes me sad thinking about it.

About $200 in parts is my take.
Some to sell, some for future personal use.
I'd buy at 100-125
Neither Sears, JC Higgins, Steyer or Puch has any following for road bikes in the US.
The engraved 999's are worth $100. Especially with the red disc branded pull saddles.

Back