When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins 10-speed

-

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
What’s the history and what’s something like this worth? Austrian made, apparently quite rare. What model?

f1be0d34c2f32518d24b7346eae58b4e.jpg

cb99550154c00d1972bb2a4e8089c1af.jpg

0f7bdb64990cc172e8ff50fe9c46ebc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure of the history. I remember them being decent bikes most likely made by Puch or Steyher. The second name is spelled wrong. Maybe a $100 bike. Ride it and enjoy it but do not put a lot of money into it. Roger

-----

this model is the same as the Puch Bergmeister. it appears to be mid-1960's example.

made by Styria (Puch/Steyr/Austro-Daimler) of Graz, Austria.

there is a wonderful forum thread here on one from 1967 in the same colour which was put out at the curb for "neighbourhood clean up day." (!)

it was adopted by a forum member who was a first-time restorer and did a wonderul job, both with the restoration and with the documentation of the process:

My Mid-60's Sears Road Bike... (pic heavy) 188 (Classic & Vintage) : 07-28-14 by OrangeBike

your example looks to be in fine shape.

hope you have lots of good fun with it.

-----

-----

this model is the same as the Puch Bergmeister. it appears to be mid-1960's example.

made by Styria (Puch/Steyr/Austro-Daimler) of Graz, Austria.

there is a wonderful forum thread here on one from 1967 in the same colour which was put out at the curb for "neighbourhood clean up day." (!)

it was adopted by a forum member who was a first-time restorer and did a wonderul job, both with the restoration and with the documentation of the process:

My Mid-60's Sears Road Bike... (pic heavy) 188 (Classic & Vintage) : 07-28-14 by OrangeBike

your example looks to be in fine shape.

hope you have lots of good fun with it.

-----
It was listed online and I wanted to see if the hefty $600 was worth it. It's a clean bike; I'd love to give it a good polish.

I have one of these Puch made road bikes. You could order one of these Campagnolo derailleur/shifter equipped machines from the Sears catalog!

Yours is waaaay nicer than mine and looks complete. Enjoy!

Good riding bike but not exactly light. 56cm frame. I like it. Smooth steel ride just not the lightest. Lots of cool design features. :cool:

Last edited:
$87.50 was a lot in 1967, though my dad bought me a Sears The Rail for $64 in 1969 - sure used the gears in NS San Antonio, and we used to halfway cross town to visit Dibbles Hobbies.

and $600 is over the top even for a Mint bike w/ Campy drivetrain

Last edited:
Back