When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins 8 speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yes, I have gone through those same headaches. I acquired a 63 Schwinn Sierra last winter. It was sitting outside at a farm for at least 20 years, maybe 30, or more. But it had all the original parts (even saddle, which I tried but could not save), so I went all-in on doing a full clean-up. To remove the stem, I used a trick that was discussed out on the forum threads…. Removed the stem bolt, plugged it with a rubber stopper, tipped the bike upside down and filled the head tube with PB Blaster. Waited a month and sure enough, I was able to remove the stem from the fork.

The Sierra also has the 2-prong Atom freewheel on a Normandy hub. As to not destory either, I removed the bearing cover with the pin spanner (after saturating in Blaster). I carefully lifted off the gears, colleted the bearings, and removed the pawls. I then did my best to saturate the freewheel core with Blaster, then wait for it to work itself in. I wrapped the core with a thin rubber cover, put it in a bench vice, then carefully turned the wheel until the core busted free.

Using the #8 easy out is the only way to go IMO. The metal on those freewheels is like a bronze material and it just can't take any force before you peel it right off. And I do mean peel, like a potato skin. Been there. After that I decided to use an easy out, and it wasn't until some years later that I actually saw that method being shown in the Schwinn Repair Manual. When those freewheels have been on a hub for 55-60 years, they want to stay there.

Back