When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins 8 speed

-
Haven't see much around, came across a few box of this stuff a few yrs ago and still haven't really gone thru them.
1631748090623.png
1631748169331.png

Haven't see much around, came across a few box of this stuff a few yrs ago and still haven't really gone thru them.View attachment 1479243View attachment 1479244
I believe that I read on the "Disraeli Gears" website that this style of derailleur become obsolete after Huret introduced the "Alvit" (with parallel arms to move the chain). I've seen them from a couple of different makers, but they're usually on bikes from the '50's. I believe the first year Continental (1960) used a Simplex like the one in your second picture, but then they went to Huret. But @juvela probably knows more about it than I do.

I don’t know how the chain was installed incorrectly through the derailleur. The chain does not have a master link. Am I better off pressing out a pin and then replace it with a new pin, or remove a link and use a master link? In either case, what size?
I am going to replace the rims. Any suggestions? It has 26”x1 3/8” tires.

-----

clearances appear quite generous

by eye, would think there would be plenty of room to go to 700 wheel size - 622

you would of course wish to measure first

another check would be to see if there is enough travel in the brake pad adjustment to go with the 700 wheel size

if not, the 730 model calipers could be exchanged for a set of the 500 model

have owned Steyr tenspeeds which came with 27" wheels and model 500 brakes

it appears that the large clearances might allow you to go as large as 38c for tyre size. this would be great if you would like to be able to ride the bicycle on dirt/gravel roads & paths

wonder if perhaps the european version of this model would have come with 700 wheels and the 26" is something done for Sears...

shall look forward to following along as you work with the bike 😉

-----

Last edited:
-----

clearances appear quite generous

by eye, would think there would be plenty of room to go to 700 wheel size - 622

you would of course wish to measure first

another check would be to see if there is enough travel in the brake pad adjustment to go with the 700 wheel size

if not, the 730 model calipers could be exchanged for a set of the 500 model

have owned Steyr tenspeeds which came with 27" wheels and model 500 brakes

it appears that the large clearances might allow you to go as large as 38c for tyre size. this would be great if you would like to be able to ride the bicycle on dirt/gravel roads & paths

wonder if perhaps the european version of this model would have come with 700 wheels and the 26" is something done for Sears...

shall look forward to following along as you work with the bike 😉

-----
Unfortunately, the bike has a 22” frame. As it stands, with the 26” rims, my 31” inseam has the frame snugging my crotch when I straddle the bike. If I were to increase the rim size, it would be downright uncomfortable!
I am pretty much a novice at this. I’ve always done my own work on my bicycles, but I am ignorant of the finer points.
Is a different rim necessary to accommodate a 26” x 1.95? Might I encounter any trouble using the 26” x 1.95” in place of the 1 3/8” tire.

Back