When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins 8 speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

a choice -

one possibility would be to go to wheel size 650A or 650B

your present rims have a bead seat diameter of 602mm (Brit size EA3) this is the same as european size 650A for which a good assortment of high quality tyres in a variety of cross sections and treads is available

then there is size 650B which has a bead seat diameter of 599mm - slightly more standover clearance for you. these tyres again are offered with a wide selection of cross sections, treads and brands

if you wish to keep the bike as original as possible but would like to upgrade to the easier rolling and better braking of alloy rims you could rebuild wheels on the existing hubs with rims of this size

-----

-----

a choice -

your present rims have a bead seat diameter of 602mm (Brit size EA3) this is the same as european size 650A for which a good assortment of high quality tyres in a variety of cross sections and treads is available

then there is size 650B which has a bead seat diameter of 599mm - slightly more standover clearance for you. these tyres again are offered with a wide selection of cross sections, treads and brands

if you wish to keep the bike as original as possible but would like to upgrade to the easier rolling and better braking of alloy rims you could rebuild wheels on the existing hubs with rims of this size

-----
AS owner of a couple early Schwinn lightweight frames missing their original S6 rims, I would like to consider such an upgrade. Do you have exact specs and possible sources? Sorry if this is a bit of a thread hike, but I imagine others would like to enjoy a fine old frame with modern tires also. And alloy rims would really let one enjoy this fine old steel frame.

AS owner of a couple early Schwinn lightweight frames missing their original S6 rims, I would like to consider such an upgrade. Do you have exact specs and possible sources? Sorry if this is a bit of a thread hike, but I imagine others would like to enjoy a fine old frame with modern tires also. And alloy rims would really let one enjoy this fine old steel frame.

-----

am not at all expert on 650A & 650B wheel & tyre sizes

information posted comes from Sutherland manual

to explore this more fully suggest beginning a thread on the subject

you might receive more response on the topic by posting in one of the lightweight forums

one of the several advantages of this size is the great selection of tyre cross sections, treads, applications, sidewalls & brands available

-----

I wonder what the actual year of manufacture was on yours. Years ago I saw an early Higgins and it had the new Huret rear derailleur that was used on the 1961 Corvette 5 speeds. There were two versions of that derailleur with the jockey wheel cage being slightly different in shape and one with 4 tension prongs and one with three. These were used on Schwinns from mid 1961 thru 1963. I just came across this Higgins and it's equipped with that new Huret Allvit rear derailleur.

1632085051372.png

1632085083579.png

1632085116527.png

-----

I wonder what the actual year of manufacture was on yours. Years ago I saw an early Higgins and it had the new Huret rear derailleur that was used on the 1961 Corvette 5 speeds. There were two versions of that derailleur with the jockey wheel cage being slightly different in shape and one with 4 tension prongs and one with three. These were used on Schwinns from mid 1961 thru 1963. I just came across this Higgins and it's equipped with that new Huret Allvit rear derailleur.

View attachment 1481277

View attachment 1481278

View attachment 1481279

-----

machine in photos appears to be the Sears edition of the Puch Bergmeister

it wears a mixed gear ensemble

shift levers and front mech are Juy products (Simplex) while rear mech is Huret Allvit

most likely the rear mech is a replacement

-----

-----

a choice -

-----
Thank you for the information.
-----

-----

shift levers and front mech are Juy products (Simplex) while rear mech is Huret Allvit

----
This is from the 1961 Sears summer catalogue.

-----

-----

-----

I'm not so sure about that. The shift levers on that piece are period correct Huret. I have also seen two other Higgins from the early 60's with that rear Huret Allvit over the years. I really don't pay that much attention to these until I see that rear derailleur that I'm always on the hunt for.

-----

the shift levers on the gold bicycle are the same model of Simplex as are on the subject machine

note the round disc in the centre of the band clamp - this is a Simplex design

Huret never had a shift lever model with a round disc design in the centre of the band clamp

1632099164719.png

-----

-----

the shift levers on the gold bicycle are the same model of Simplex as are on the subject machine

note the round disc in the centre of the band clamp - this is a Simplex design

Huret never had a shift lever model with a round disc design in the centre of the band clamp

View attachment 1481442

-----

Good catch, I overlooked that detail.

Back