When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins Colorflow Restoration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Green P1

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I'm restoring my this old Higgins that belonged to my mother when she was a child. It's spent the last 30 years of its like in an old East Texas barn so its pretty much rust covered.

Here it is in its current state of restore.

Picturejpgt1303092399-1.jpg

What if any are the advantages of the strange sprocket/chain combo these came with? Skiptooth? The cranks, sprocket, and wheels are all well beyond the point of simply polishing back to life, and being a low budget restoration I'd just planned on replacing them. Will there be any noticeable difference in the ride of the bike if I replace the skiptooth with standard chain and sprockets?

Skip tooth drive was used the longest in America, maybe because it was cheaper. Some companies still used it until late 1954! Changing to a modern 1/2" pitch drive won't affect the ride. Since your bike was built for Sears by Murray, it has the same style sprocket that they used from the late 30s to the early 90s! Also it's a balloon tire bike with that springer, rack, tank, and skirt guards. Generally called the "Color Flow" model.

While you're at it, throw away those ugly grey things that go near the rear wheel and you might as well scrap that dumb tank and rear rack too!

Most people know that changing ANYTHING on these old bikes devaluates them. Shine the parts the best you can and keep them original to the bike. You can always keep an eye out for the CORRECT Murray parts in better condition in the future.
At the very least keep the original parts with the bike. A quality restoration requires them!

Cool bike! Those Colorflows look great shined up and colorful!

While you're at it, throw away those ugly grey things that go near the rear wheel and you might as well scrap that dumb tank and rear rack too!
Most people know that changing ANYTHING on these old bikes devaluates them. Shine the parts the best you can and keep them original to the bike. You can always keep an eye out for the CORRECT Murray parts in better condition in the future.
At the very least keep the original parts with the bike. A quality restoration requires them!
Cool bike! Those Colorflows look great shined up and colorful!

I've never cared about devaluation on anything I've restored... but I don't sell my stuff, I enjoy it. I'll hang onto the cranks, hubs, chain and sprockets for an eventual re-chroming of all the shiny bits, but that's way down the road. This is an under $150 restoration attempt. The wheels are garbage.

I think you are underestimating the potential of the chrome parts you have. Humor me and go to ACE Hardware. Buy a small container of Oxylic Acid (wood bleach), $7.00. Mix a 3 oz. per gallon of water concentration. Find a container that you can immerse your chrome parts in. If the rims won't completely submerge you can treat a section at a time. Degrease everything first. Leave the parts in the oxylic acid mix for 24 hours. Remove and rinse. They will look pretty darn nice I am betting. Protect your eyes. You can pour it in the ditch (it's just wood bleach) when done or save it and reuse it.

I think you are underestimating the potential of the chrome parts you have. Humor me and go to ACE Hardware. Buy a small container of Oxylic Acid (wood bleach), $7.00. Mix a 3 oz. per gallon of water concentration. Find a container that you can immerse your chrome parts in. If the rims won't completely submerge you can treat a section at a time. Degrease everything first. Leave the parts in the oxylic acid mix for 24 hours. Remove and rinse. They will look pretty darn nice I am betting. Protect your eyes. You can pour it in the ditch (it's just wood bleach) when done or save it and reuse it.

Will do! Thanks for the chrome tip.... I thought I'd heard/tried them all by now. If the chrome on the beehive spring comes out I'll be doing backflips.

These are really cool bikes. I have a boys one. I always try to use as many of the original parts as possible. But I like to ride them to.

The wood bleach tip worked really really well.... on the chrome that still remained. Problem was all the chrome that had flaked/rusted off. I think I've decided to keep all the original parts on the bike... with the chrome bits painted metallic silver. I think the silver looks pretty alright, and everything can be re-chromed when money allows. The paint is Duplicolor's car wheel paint. Here's a picture of how it came out when I used it on my old Bird Nighthawk Minicycle I restored.

Picture005jpgt1304171612-1.jpg

PS... I cant wait to use the wood bleach tip on the fork springs in the picture above.

Back