When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins confirm year? Also in need of crank...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-a
~
%
z

cyclehobo

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey guys. I have had this J.C Higgins for maybe 20 years..ride it quite a bit..but had a crank blow-out in August. Couple things. I always assumed it was a 1947 but thought I would post the picture and maybe have that confirmed or corrected. Also please see the photo of the crank/ chainwheel. Is this correct for the bike. I have never had the bike apart except for greasing but I did see another Higgins bike that had the same tank but a different style / design chainwheel. I am happy with the one on it but would like to know which is correct. Finally the crank end ball snapped where the pedal threads in..so I will be in need of a correct 1 pc crank to fix this old girl up and get back on the road. So please let me know which would be correct or if someone has a crank like this one can help thanks much in advance...

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

Chain ring looks CWC. Correct crank and chain ring shouldn't be too hard to find. V/r Shawn

There should be codes on the BB, the key one will read "MOS - " followed by a letter, which is the year. Here's a list, it doesn't directly reference Sears - sold bikes, so there isn't an S in the list codes, but the year letters are the same.
Murray serial chart.jpg

Great, thanks Adam. OK I just cleaned up the BB and found these #'s which look close to what you explain..but still not positive. On my bike there is 3 sets of serial #'s. They are listed top to bottom like this:

MOS-L
MOD- XXX XXX
XXXXXX

I dont think this bike would be 1939 due to the styling. But what about the MOS and then the L letter. Is this a 1953? I had always thought 1947 but maybe not? Thoughts based on bike paint style and the serial # I have listed above?

Thanks in advance..

You were correct, 'MOS-L' is '47. The other stamp, 'MOD' is probably followed by '502', basically just Sears coding. And that other pic is the correct Murray chain ring.

Back