When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins I.D. Help

-

gator49

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi
I got this bike about 1990 I need help in identifying the year. I haven't posted very many photos if they don't download properly I'll try again tonight.
I want to clean this bike / re-grease or replace the bearings and new tires.
The serial number Most-MOD-502-45460 below that number 17438
007.jpg
014.jpg
013.jpg
Tires size on the bike 26x2.125.
Also is there a particular name for the chain guard that has the holes in them? I think it's a JC Higgins jet flow about 1956 missing the rear rack and headlight. Any help will be appreciated for the correct parts needed for this project
Thanks
Dave (PM) or email [email protected]

Last edited:
Thanks Mike
Is that your 56 jetflow? Is there a catalog with serial numbers to trace the exact year?
Thanks Dave

No, not my bike. Just a pic off of Dave's site. There are others here who know a lot more than I do about these. I'm sure they'll chime in and help.

Please post a picture of the serial number for the year clarification.
Don't beleive the date code ("D") in the listed "MOD" prefix is correct. My code list shows that "D" is 1939. And that doesn't seem to be correct. I agree it looks 1950s.
1956 would be a "MOT" prefix, according to my list.
But, I've been proven wrong in the past.

Nice project though.

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Doug
Thanks for your reply. I'll post a photo of the serial number tomorrow also the rear hub. I'm no bicycle expert but I agree the bike looks 1950-1956.
Thanks Dave

Hi
I got this bike about 1990 I need help in identifying the year. I haven't posted very many photos if they don't download properly I'll try again tonight.
I want to clean this bike / re-grease or replace the bearings and new tires.
The serial number Most-MOD-502-45460 below that number 17438
View attachment 216527View attachment 216528View attachment 216529Tires size on the bike 26x2.125.
Also is there a particular name for the chain guard that has the holes in them? I think it's a JC Higgins jet flow about 1956 missing the rear rack and headlight. Any help will be appreciated for the correct parts needed for this project
Thanks
Dave (PM) or email [email protected]

Thanks for the several replies. I've added three more photos one of the serial number, the rear hub and and pedal
016.jpg
009.jpg
020.jpg

My list shows 1953. but it's been said it's not totally correct.
1953 is my uneducated guess.

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

4546 is the Sears catalog # for the 56-57 Jetflow. In this case, the other #s are questionable, unless the frame was a 53 leftover, built later.

Back