When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins I.D. Help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Is there a date code stamped unto the hub on the brake-arm side? Should be a letter and a symbol.

The letter and symbol stamped on the back of brake arm and same side of rear hub (S) with the symbal of a triangle
Thanks Dave
009.jpg

My list shows 1953. but it's been said it's not totally correct.
1953 is my uneducated guess.

4546 is the Sears catalog # for the 56-57 Jetflow. In this case, the other #s are questionable, unless the frame was a 53 leftover, built later.

Not sure where you guys are getting 1953 from and there's nothing questionable about those numbers... MOST = 1954.

Adam correctly identified the catalog #, but the "Jet Flow" model first appeared in the 1955 catalogs and was produced through 1958. I would call Dave's bike a '55 Jet Flow, but the MOST serial # clearly indicates a 1954 frame and suggests that production began that year.

:)

The letter and symbol stamped on the back of brake arm and same side of rear hub (S) with the symbal of a triangle
Thanks Dave

So I'm not certain but I don't think there was Musselman production for 1943-1945. If that's correct, and assuming "O" was skipped because similarity to the quarter-code symbol, then it looks like that hub would have been produced in 1955...or if production started again in 1945, then this would be 1954...?

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...mber-and-Date-Code-Information-Non-Discussion

e83ac16c4d297c26a5b8c965c8ce09db-1.jpg

Last edited:
Guess I have been proven wrong again. Guess I need to stop using the list I have. It does not have "MOST" listed. I'm using the list from the ABC serial number book.
Sorry for the confusion if I'm wrong.

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

JD,
The ABC Services book is correct, but it specifically relates to Murray-Ohio products built for Western Auto Stores, i.e. Western Flyer serial numbers. Murray used a similar serial # system for their Sears products, but there are differences.

JD,
The ABC Services book is correct, but it specifically relates to Murray-Ohio products built for Western Auto Stores, i.e. Western Flyer serial numbers. Murray used a similar serial # system for their Sears products, but there are differences.
You know, I wondered why the "W.F." notation was on the breakdown list of the ABC book. It's noted in a column that had no column title.
I assumed it meant, it included Western Flyer (Western Auto) units. But I always thought the prefix MO and year letter, was for all Murray bikes regardless of the retailer.
I didn't know it excluded all other Murray retailer possibilities.
I did know that the Murray replacement parts pages was for Western Auto part ordering in this book.
But, again assumed all Murray serial numbers had the same prefix stampings.
I did not know that there were variances in the following number stampings for other retailer Murray models. ..like Sears sold items.
I always thought that the body and suffix stamped numbers were cataloging models part identifiers per retailer and feel confident that that is correct.

As always, something learned again, here on the Cabe.

So, I wonder if there is other printed serial number listings for the other retailers that sold Murray bikes like Sears, JC Penny and Ostago (spelling) and others?
I know when dealing with Sears model parts look up, you can go to "searspartsdirect.com" but, to use that, the model look up only uses the cataloging number (omitting the "MO*" stamping). And one can see the build sheet of that particular model. No years are display when doing this look up process, that I can tell.

In short, I apologize to all, that my ability to decipher Murray Ohio ("MO"), may have been incorrect and at this point I don't feel confident that my Murray serial number look up will or may be correct

As we all may ask for help from those in the know, or think they know here ( like me), it is a lesson learned that some research material has exceptions or subpart that we may not have knowledge of.

Disclaimer. ..from here on out, I may be wrong when helping on year deciphers...at least when it comes to Murray.

Perhaps I should not get involved as I may mislead those that want to beleive I know what I'm talking about. Clearly I dont, [emoji54]

But, I do appreciate now knowing there is always an exception to the rule.
I now feel somewhat embarrassed[emoji22]

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain the chain guard and rack with the holes was 56-7. The difference on the serial #s is a Sears bike would typically be "MOS-T", and a WF would just be MO-T.

Back