When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins Made in Germany...1956?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

RustyFox

Look Ma, No Hands!
Suspended
Pulled this bicycle out of an old garage and was curious about the serial number. I know that some Higgins was made in Germany in 1956. Also this has a painted on label with Registered Pinkerton Security on the back fender which I found interesting.

IMG_4769.JPG

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4771.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG

I have a '56 JC Higgins made in Germany as well. I'm pretty sure the Murray factory had a strike in that year, so Sears had to source their bikes from overseas. Neat bikes. Have a Thompson style bottom bracket instead of the normal one piece crank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen quite a few Sears bikes made in Austria with a Higgins (or maybe Free Spirit), but none this early.

I've also seen that Pinkerton label on other Higgins. My guess is that Sears sold an insurance policy add on at time of sale like they do with electronics today. Does anyone know for sure?

I can just imagine a thief quaking in their boots at seeing the Pinkerton sticker! :rolleyes: Better not touch this one or the Pinkertons will get me!

Footnote:I almost never buy these extended warranties but awhile back we bought a fridge. Because we had costly problems on a previous one 8 months out of the 2 year warranty we decided to buy the 5 year extended coverage for $40 this time. Amazingly enough we had problems in the 10th month of the 5th year. Cost of repair would have been $250 but we paid zilch (actually $40).

I have a '56 JC Higgins made in Germany as well. I'm pretty sure the Murray factory had a strike in that year, so Sears had to source their bikes from overseas. Neat bikes. Have a Thompson style bottom bracket instead of the normal one piece crank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I searched about a strike online, finding nothing. But, Murray was building a new factory that year, likely the cause of Sears' shift to the imports that year. Also, note the '506' stamp, as opposed to Murray's '502'.

I've seen quite a few Sears bikes made in Austria with a Higgins (or maybe Free Spirit), but none this early.

I've also seen that Pinkerton label on other Higgins. My guess is that Sears sold an insurance policy add on at time of sale like they do with electronics today. Does anyone know for sure?

I can just imagine a thief quaking in their boots at seeing the Pinkerton sticker! :rolleyes: Better not touch this one or the Pinkertons will get me!

Footnote:I almost never buy these extended warranties but awhile back we bought a fridge. Because we had costly problems on a previous one 8 months out of the 2 year warranty we decided to buy the 5 year extended coverage for $40 this time. Amazingly enough we had problems in the 10th month of the 5th year. Cost of repair would have been $250 but we paid zilch (actually $40).

I read somewhere that the Sears and Higgins bikes made in Austria were from Steyr-Daimler-Puch. I wonder who made these? If they're German, I'm guessing it had to be a different company.

I read somewhere that the Sears and Higgins bikes made in Austria were from Steyr-Daimler-Puch. I wonder who made these? If they're German, I'm guessing it had to be a different company.
Actually, they were a collective. I think it was the Puch factory that was in Austria. But there were factories in W. Germany, and Steyr was the largest, also building tractors and whatnot.

I have a 24'' girls model, and the head badge is a stamped logo with the made in Germany, not W. Germany is this also from the same year?
sadly it had been painted many years ago so the original paint is gone.

Back