When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins middleweight I.D. help needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bike from the Dead

I live for the CABE
Saw this bike while browsing through Facebook Marketplace earlier. Owner claims it's a "JB Higgins" (pretty sure he meant JC Higgins,) but I can't say I've seen one like this before. The sprocket, chain guard, and the "tight pinch" in the tank area look nothing like anything I've seen on a JC Higgins bike. The owner originally was asking $20, then his wife apparently told him $40. Given its sorry state, I'm not sure I really want this bike, but the sprocket and chain guard at least would be nice to have. So, what kind of bike is this, and is it worth the $40 to drive an hour and a half one way to buy it?

JC Higgins was the name Sears used on their bikes AFTER World War II. Prior to the war Sears sold bikes under the Elgin name. Looks like 26" wheels on a 28" prewar frame. Save your gas money. Use it to buy yourself a 12 pack and toast yourself for leaving it on the block.

It's probably one of those foreign made Higgins. A 10 minute drive for that is too far for me. ;)
JC Higgins was the name Sears used on their bikes AFTER World War II. Prior to the war Sears sold bikes under the Elgin name. Looks like 26" wheels on a 28" prewar frame. Save your gas money. Use it to buy yourself a 12 pack and toast yourself for leaving it on the block.
Alright, thanks!

Hmm, that's a hard one. I'd say Ross Bicycles, Inc. from New York.
....Was that sarcasm? I can never figure out one's tone of voice through text.
Either way, That makes sense. I hadn't heard of or seen Ross bicycles before. I only just got into the hobby about 2 years ago, so I only know so much about bikes.

Back