When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jc Higgins Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
By the way, if you're really interested in the details about what features appeared on which year Higgins, I recommend you get a copy of Collectible Elgin - J.C. Higgins Hawthorne Bicycles by James Hurd & T.A. Gordon. It's a collection of black and white copies of catalog pages from 1930s - 1950s Sears catalogs, and is invaluable for seeing how bikes were offered and determining year, etc.

I was surprised to see the top of the line, most deluxe J.C. Higgins 26" bike was shown in the fall/winter 1952 catalog page with black wall tires; all the subsequent years are shown with whitewalls... so if you're trying to set up your bike exactly as seen in the catalog, you'll have that reference.

Catalog pages are not the Holy Bible for bicycle correctness or how a bicycle actually left the factory though; for example, the 1951 model page shows the Regal Deluxe decal on the chain guard, but later year catalog pages do not show a Color-Flow decal on the guard, even though that factory decal has often appears on original examples in real life. Real life examples often differ, sometimes greatly from catalog drawings, so bear in mind it doesn't mean it's not "correct".

This may be true with the applied J.C. Higgins script on the rack vs. jewels on the tank argument as well... I have an original paint men's color flow with both the rack script and the jewels on the tank just like yours.. and I believe it to be completely factory correct. Don't let anyone here tell you otherwise definitively; it's quite true factories will use up parts from previous years on new models rather than throw them away, and it's still considered factory correct... there are LOTS of examples where a real life, original example defies the image in the catalog... it does not at all mean it's "wrong".

Last edited:
They do say Color Flow on the chainguard, but Sears never referred to them as such.

Not to take you to task here Evans200, but saying Sears "never" did something is pretty authoritative... that's implying you're either Mr. J.C. Higgins himself and are speaking from personal experience as Sear's head of sporting goods, or implying you have read and seen every bit of marketing material, advertising, literature or TV ads ever produced for J.C. Higgins bicycles... it's much more appropriate to say in your experience you have never seen Sears refer to them that way in their advertising, but leave the possibility open that they may have...

Experts_Expect_the_Unexpected._Nubra.jpg

Last edited:
Not to take you to task here Evans200, but saying Sears "never" did something is pretty authoritative... that's implying you're either Mr. J.C. Higgins himself and are speaking from personal experience as Sear's head of sporting goods, or implying you have read and seen every bit of marketing material, advertising, literature or TV ads for J.C. Higgins bicycles... it's much more appropriate to say you have never seen Sears refer to them that way in their advertising, but leave the possibility open that they may have...

View attachment 343439
You're absolutely right. Bad choice of wording on my part. Like I said, I'm not an expert, and never should have said never. I apologize and didn't mean to sound so authoritative. You say that catalog pages aren't the holy grail for correctness, and that may be the case, but in my opinion those pages still represent the best standard of correctness that we have available. And granted, factories, stores, and previous owners will use available parts, make substitutions and omissions whenever they want. Peace.

I believe some bikes actually said "Color-Flow" on the chain guard. My OG ladies Higgins (photo attached) says "Regal Deluxe" on the Chain guard. (Close up of chain guard is not my bike, but shows the decal well.)

Nice bike by the way! Great orig condition, and even has the bottom half of the headlight... it's often missing or rusted out. The tops were plastic and often warped or cracked as they stick out on the sides and are one of the first things to go when a bike falls over. Someone was making repro tops for those lights, if you can find one you can match the paint more or less and have your bike look complete. The headlight is known as the "batwing" headlight and is called such in the Sears catalog.

Value is quite subjective.... condition is king, and a complete, mens Color-flow with orig. paint and all correct parts including the scarce batwing headlight can bring $1000 or more. Many factors play in to value... it depends on who is looking for one at any given time, where it's for sale geographically (bikes will typically sell for more in places likes So. Cal where there is a greater pool of folks with the money to step up and a greater appreciation for vintage bikes), and the economy at the time... value is really what anyone will pay at any given time, but to give you a rough idea, I would think $750 - $1200 if complete, correct and in nice orig. condition. A really nice original batwing light can sell by itself without the tough to find bracket for $350-500 all on its own.

Thanks for posting, it's nice to see bikes like this still turning up. I hope you clean it up, find the headlight top and ride it!

View attachment 343385

View attachment 343386

I have the same bike, same color etc. Only missing correct grips and the bat wing. I was told (by serial number) that it was a late '51 or early '52 based on the Regal Deluxe name only being used during that time.
She a heavy weight for sure and murder on my legs on hills. Need to sell her and get back to my middle weights.

Mike

In my humble opinion, that batwing headlight makes that bike... with a metal bottom and plastic top so few have survived; bottoms often rust out or get badly dented when they hit the pavement, and the plastic tops crack, warp, split and paint separates from them - it's the worst possible combination for survival.

Add to that when fully loaded with 4 large, heavy "D" cells it makes the bike difficult to balance when parked and many went over as soon as batteries were put in. Frankly, I'm surprised Sears continued to put them on bikes for several years rather then redesign it sooner, but maybe that meant they sold a lot of replacements.. ;o)

They also sold an accessory horn/light combo with a handlebar mount... sometimes you can find those for sale and take the orig. plastic top off and convert the horn side to another light and voila, you have your completed batwing headlight. Same for the base, it's the same metal stamping as the dual headlight... drill out the riveted handlebar mount, make a few other adjustments, and you have a replacement base for your batwing.

Hi James04, based on the numbers on the BB, it looks like you have a 1950 ColorFlow. The ColorFlow first appeared in 1949 and had same fork as yours but slightly different features. One thing I know for sure, is I don't know all but from my own research and guidance from LD, there were catalog models and floor models ( which were not featured in the catalog). Your bike should have exhaust ports instead of jewels, jeweled tanks first showed up in 51 catalog and introduced Regal DeLuxe, as pictured above. Find some correct grips, top to the batwing and some pedals and ride it.

Todd

Note.....do the jewels including the aluminum housing and the ring around the jewels which starts out as the exhaust port, match the rest of the chrome/patina?

image.jpeg

Last edited:
in my opinion those [catalog] pages still represent the best standard of correctness that we have available.

Catalog pages are indeed a good standard of correctness and your opinion is appreciated, but so is experience. I started collecting vintage balloon tire bikes in 1978-79; in those 37 or 38 years I have seen at least a dozen deluxe men's Higgins with both the tank jewels and rack script both, yet the catalog pages refute this and I still hear folks make statements like post #4 above. Which is correct? A hand-drawn rendering in a catalog, or original example after original example turning up this way after nearly 40 years?

Not trying to be a dick here, just trying to illustrate that "correctness" cannot and should not be determined by catalog images alone. As I pointed out in another thread, bicycles in the 50s were essentially kid's toys, designed and marketed with kids in mind... not some important collectible to be dissected and argued over by "experts". I think it's a shame when someone comes to this site looking for info on their cool bike find only to have someone tell them it's "wrong". Especially when there are real world examples of original, un-touched bikes set up just like his.

Soap box neatly put away now... let's get back to riding and enjoying vintage bikes!

To Balloonatic and Evans200.
I enjoyed reading your replies towards each other.
Very refreshing and positive. Thanks.

And I have come to the conclusion that the Chicago Schwinn Co. that manufactured the bicycles.
And the "Boys from Marketing” that created the catalogs & artwork were not on the same planet. :(

But as we all know...that’s the best thing we have to go by!

To add my two cents. In this hobby, never say never! There always seems to be a bike or two that flies in the face of typical accepted "facts", serial numbers and codes that don't add up. I try to say things like "typically", to cover my big white booty!

Back