When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins year info

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Beng360

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I picked this up yesterday and unfamiliar with JC Higgins bikes. I couldn't pass up the price and was wondering if someone could let me know what year this is. Will be up for sale soon.

Here are the numbers on the bottom
4526-R

Screenshot_20220601-174719_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220601-174735_Gallery.jpg

Welp... that's a weird one. Could there be more numbers on the left rear dropout by the rear axle?

It sure doesn't seem to be the Murray you would expect it to be. It has a Huffy chainring, but a decidedly un-Huffy serial number. It seems like there was one year when Murray shut down (1956? 1957?) to move to a new factory, and Sears was forced to source their bikes elsewhere. Mostly Puch (of Austria) I believe. This sure doesn't appear to be Puch. Stelber maybe?

Paging @Adamtinkerer , @Archie Sturmer .

Thank you for the info. I will look to see if there are numbers on the drop out. I have a Stelber. I will try to post a picture.

I’m no help; often I confuse that frame style with a Rollfast, but the “R” likely represents something else?

I've not seen one like that before! The frame style is JCH, but they retired the name after '63, and I wouldn't expect a Huffy built one before '60.

Are you convinced it's Huffy? I'd sure like to see the serial number.

If it's Huffy I'm thinking it should be on the left dropout, possibly upside down.

Looks like 1959, 1960 Sears catalog item 4526 boys 26" Bike in red.
Eg, bottom pic 1960 catalog

Catalogs here:

Back