When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Chilidawg

Look Ma, No Hands!
Just got this bike. Don’t know what model it is. Is there somewhere to look up the Manufacture date.

Reactions: JLF
Someone on another forum said that this bike is made by CCM, branded J.C. Higgins and sold by Simpson Sears.

I don't like it! It's not got the same classiness & curves of most JC Higgins bikes. I do want those handlebars though :(

If I followed the thread on terminology correctly, those would be rear facing forks and rear facing forks are usually pre-war. Before WWII, Sears sold bicycles under the Elgin brand name, and all of those serial numbers were onto bottom bracket. ???????

Someone on another forum said that this bike is made by CCM, branded J.C. Higgins and sold by Simpson Sears.

They were probably right. I'm not a member of the pinterest group so this is the best image I can get, so far.

1603083150193.png

If I followed the thread on terminology correctly, those would be rear facing forks and rear facing forks are usually pre-war. Before WWII, Sears sold bicycles under the Elgin brand name, and all of those serial numbers were onto bottom bracket. ???????
True of what I was told about rear facing 'forks' being predominantly prewar but then that means the serial #s shouldn't be on the rear facing forks like his are. Also helps to know the exact year JC Higgins was dropped in favor of just the Sears name. If no head badge swapping was done in it's prior life then it narrows it down further right?

Off topic kinda but bikes are confusing at times; #1 I have a 26" CWC womens bike that is 1" skip tooth, rear facing fork ends, & supposedly around a '53 ish build from what I am told here. #2 I have a early '50s Monark Rocket 1/2" pitch that had a dog leg crank which I remember somebody said wasn't a post war part. #3 Now I have a 26" Monark General womens '52 1/2" pitch that has the same dog leg crank (Thank The Bike Gods Nobody Welded the pedals on this 1) albeit it was painted possibly from the build date.

We will Never be 100% on What is Really What & What is Original or Originally Available. Lmfao Having Fun Yet?

Someone had to do significant work to get the paint off that bike. CCM first made that frame in late 1966 so its really not that old. And for it to rust like that on its own the chrome bits would be corroded into nothing. Perhaps it has been rebadged as well?

It is probably someone‘s rat bike project. I pulled the wheels off and they are not original unless they used rims made in France. i will clean it up, paint it and ride it

Someone had to do significant work to get the paint off that bike. CCM first made that frame in late 1966 so its really not that old. And for it to rust like that on its own the chrome bits would be corroded into nothing. Perhaps it has been rebadged as well?
I have done that to a micargi rover gt; stripper & then a mix of salt, vinegar iirc peroxide to make it look well rusted & crusty

Back