When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeffrey and Gromully tandem

-

Artweld

Finally riding a big boys bike
Was told that this tandam was a possible Jeffery and gromully built racing tandam frame, cranks sprockets shifter and wheels were added later not correct to the frame, any idea on if that's possible, thanks

20150321_095617.jpg

20150321_095720.jpg

20150321_095756.jpg

20150321_100001.jpg

20171223_112028_Film4.jpg

20150321_095516.jpg

Front fork appears to be 1940's Colson. Cranks, sprockets, wheels are from some other 1940-50's era bicycles. I have three Gormully & Jeffery Rambler tandems and even though a few of the pointed frame lugs on your frame bear a resemblance to G & J the overall frame construction does not. I personally do not believe this tandem frame is G & J. I'm not sure what it is but my gut feeling is not G & J.

rambler-tandem-1898.jpg

Front fork appears to be 1940's Colson. Cranks, sprockets, wheels are from some other 1940-50's era bicycles. I have three Gormully & Jeffery Rambler tandems and even though a few of the pointed frame lugs on your frame bear a resemblance to G & J the overall frame construction does not. I personally do not believe this tandem frame is G & J. I'm not sure what it is but my gut feeling is not G & J.

View attachment 734966
Ok thanks, I was also informed that it may have been a custom made to order frame from G & J that's why it won't show up in a catalog, it's that something that was done back then by the manufacturer? I'm attaching a pic of the BB which I never seen before, the outside bearing cup are egg shaped the bottom nuts and bolts are loosen to make the BB adjustable for proper chain adjustment, I moved the rear BB to show how it works, loosen the bolt rotate forward or backwards for chain tension, any Info would help as I would like to do a better restoration on it, would also like to badge it, thanks again
c917b69a38b2a300b41d42a974c6bd08.jpg
96a5740b15ffceeb2f6605d103b503e9.jpg
877ccedb6d5da1cb210f4696bbd0a06c.jpg

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Ok thanks, I was also informed that it may have been a custom made to order frame from G & J that's why it won't show up in a catalog, it's that something that was done back then by the manufacturer? I'm attaching a pic of the BB which I never seen before, the outside bearing cup are egg shaped the bottom nuts and bolts are loosen to make the BB adjustable for proper chain adjustment, I moved the rear BB to show how it works, loosen the bolt rotate forward or backwards for chain tension, any Info would help as I would like to do a better restoration on it, would also like to badge it, thanks again ATTACH=full]735002[/ATTACH]

The style of crank housing on your frame among many other frame characters is why I do not believe your frame is G & J. The overall frame design and crank housings are nothing like anything I ever saw G & J use on any of their bicycles. Again, aside from a couple pointed lugs your frame bears no resemblance to G & J bicycles and tandems I have seen. Since frame lugs could be ordered through supplier catalogs by bicycle manufacturers and frame builders I truly suspect your frame is some manufacturer other than G & J.

I believe I found your tandem frame. This frame looks to me to be an exact match. Angle of frame tubes look correct to me. I strongly believe this is your tandem. Even what I can see of your rear wheel dropouts look more like the Armstrong Moth than anything G & J ever built.

moth tandem.jpg

Built in 1936 at the Sherbourne Street factory in Birmingham.

20171223_112028_film4-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Possibly not a Moth but certainly closer than G & J. I believe the tandem is later than 1890's based on construction. If Artweld would post a detailed photo or two of the rear wheel dropouts that may help narrow the decade in which the frame was built and also possibly help identify the manufacturer.

Certainly not an Armstrong 'Moth', almost certainly not English at all, headset, style of bottom bracket/chainsets etc are all typically American in design and wouldn't fit an English frameset. Probably American made, could be anytime from the '20s to the '50s judging by the frame design, pretty standard design.

Back