When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeffrey and Gromully tandem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Possibly not a Moth but certainly closer than G & J. I believe the tandem is later than 1890's based on construction. If Artweld would post a detailed photo or two of the rear wheel dropouts that may help narrow the decade in which the frame was built and also possibly help identify the manufacturer.
I I'll get some more pics of the rear drop outs tonight and any other pics that might be helpful, thanks for you input on this matter, its interesting to know that CABE MEMBERS are willing to help out other members with research, thanks again

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Possibly not a Moth but certainly closer than G & J. I believe the tandem is later than 1890's based on construction. If Artweld would post a detailed photo or two of the rear wheel dropouts that may help narrow the decade in which the frame was built and also possibly help identify the manufacturer.
Here are a few more pics, hope they can help in some way, rear stay pic, more of bottom crank housing and some of the nickel plate parts that I believe are original to the frame, that moth so far seems almost identical other then the front head set area the middle bar seems a little tighter and lower and the rear wheel to the rear seat post tube is much closer, I been told the the reason the distance between the rear wheel and rear seat post is greater on this frame is that it was built for long distance racing, any truth to that? Thanks again
41d81d60eb458618196cd3d5a84db39a.jpg
135d3beff869233a61eb7236610250b5.jpg
e607e67c62412389b474ec73b1419ac5.jpg
db5a85144290e9a45437cdfbe2f26c88.jpg
543219001465ee6d490d90da973b3279.jpg
8fadbcba1e68dcc0cfa08f5bbb07d593.jpg
afeae556c6cf7b93a1113c96903b2da5.jpg
9ef67deadbfccc38340975cc168c8caf.jpg

Here are a few more pics, hope they can help in some way, rear stay pic, more of bottom crank housing and some of the nickel plate parts that I believe are original to the frame, that moth so far seems almost identical other then the front head set area the middle bar seems a little tighter and lower and the rear wheel to the rear seat post tube is much closer, I been told the the reason the distance between the rear wheel and rear seat post is greater on this frame is that it was built for long distance racing, any truth to that? Thanks again ]

Rear wheel dropouts are definitely not G & J or Moth. Not sure what it is but I'll keep looking. The dropout design looks a little familiar to me but can't place it at the moment.

I don't know regarding your question "distance between the rear wheel and rear seat post is greater on this frame is that it was built for long distance racing" possibly a CABE member knowing something about racing bicycle geometry can answer that one.

Racing frames don't usually have dropouts drilled for mudguard mountings. Racing tandems tend to be shorter wheelbase than regular tandem frames and lighter in weight also. I would have thought that would be even more relevant for long distance events as you wouldn't want to be pushing any more weight than necessary.
Nice detail photos @Artweld though.
Still a mystery!

Racing frames don't usually have dropouts drilled for mudguard mountings. Racing tandems tend to be shorter wheelbase than regular tandem frames and lighter in weight also. I would have thought that would be even more relevant for long distance events as you wouldn't want to be pushing any more weight than necessary.
Nice detail photos @Artweld though.
Still a mystery!
Now things are starting to make sense, I had thought about this, the holes in the rear dropouts and the other two mounting holes makes me believe it's possible that it's a touring model, I would have to agree with you on that and not the racing frame theory, I'm still confused about the crank housing on the frame as I never seen that style on any other frame, the two halves that hold the bearing seem to be pressed together and won't come apart so I can get a better look inside the crank frame area, any thoughts on this? Or any ideal on the manufacturer?

After many hours spent searching for Artweld's tandem, I am still at a loss to identify it. However from my searching I am inclined to believe (based on various characteristics) that this tandem was likely produced sometime between WW1 and WW2 with the 1930's being the most likely time period.

Also, while this tandem may not have been produced in Europe, the frame geometry/design bares a remarkable resemblance to manufacturers such as; Sun, Alworth, Chater-Lea, Hercules, James, Maclean, Stephens, etc. So whomever the manufacturer was, it seems that they were at the very least influenced by tandems from the other side of the pond.

I do hope someone else comes forward with a positive ID because I have exhausted my resources and am very curious who did manufacture Artweld's tandem.

After many hours spent searching for Artweld's tandem, I am still at a loss to identify it. However from my searching I am inclined to believe (based on various characteristics) that this tandem was likely produced sometime between WW1 and WW2 with the 1930's being the most likely time period.

Also, while this tandem may not have been produced in Europe, the frame geometry/design bares a remarkable resemblance to manufacturers such as; Sun, Alworth, Chater-Lea, Hercules, James, Maclean, Stephens, etc. So whomever the manufacturer was, it seems that they were at the very least influenced by tandems from the other side of the pond.

I do hope someone else comes forward with a positive i.d. because I have exhausted my resources and am very curious who did manufacture Artweld's tandem.
Thank you so much for your time in trying to identify this tandam your research is greatly appreciated, I myself have been trying for a couple of years to identify it always searching photos, buying vintage bicycle books, online research etc... I'm thinking that the bottom crank housing is perhaps the key to the manufacturer along with the rear dropouts style, it's always great to learn more info on the CABE from fellow members, perhaps someone has the answer to its origin as I would like to restore it to its original style, thanks

Back